Return or Try to Sell iPad2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacLifer, Mar 18, 2011.

  1. MacLifer macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2011
    #1
    I have a white iPad2 32GB wifi+AT&T that I have been using for a week now. I realize now I will never make use of the separate AT&T data plan (stupid decision making on my part) and I indeed do prefer black over white.

    So I have until next Thursday or Friday to return the iPad 2 to my place of purchase (BB). I plan on getting an iPad 2 32GB wiFi only, black. Knowing I won't get that iPad 2 for many weeks, my choice is to return the current one and be without for a while or take my chances and try to sell the current iPad on the open market when I get my new one.

    I am really not in this to make a profit. If I could sell the current used iPad for the same price I bought it for (taxes included), that would be fine. I just don't want to lose a lot of money. Assume that the iPad will still be in perfect condition when I sell it.

    What would you do? Be safe and return the current iPad 2 to BB, and then wait? Or keep the current iPad 2 until I get the replacement and then go to the open market?
     
  2. legallegend macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2011
    #2
    Sell it. I had a white 32 Verizon and wanted black 32 Verizon. I got a black 64 Verizon from MacMall delivered overnight and sold the white 32 for enough to cover the 64. So I got a 64 for the price of a 32.
     
  3. ea9 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2011
    #3
    Sell it for cost if you're nice and enjoy what you really wanted ;)
     
  4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

    ucfgrad93

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Colorado
    #4
    You should have no problem selling it at cost, OP. The demand is so high and supply so low, there is no way will you have to take a loss. I would suggest selling it to a friend or family member who wants one but hasn't been able to find one. You basically get your money back, don't have to worry about being ripped off and everyone is happy.
     
  5. MacLifer thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2011
    #5
    So you think a *used* iPad 2 will maintain "at cost+tax value" even 4-5 weeks from now? That will be after the international launch and everything.
     
  6. ea9 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2011
    #6
    Definitely not ! I meant sell now if you want the full cost. You may also be able to make a few pennies.
    4-5 weeks from now... expect to lose at least 100$ in perfect condition.
     
  7. MacLifer thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2011
    #7
    See that is my dilemma. I can return it to BB and get full cost back (no restocking fee). After the 15th day (point of no return), I have no choice but to sell it. I guess I just need to decide if being without an iPad for 4-5 weeks is worth possibly losing money on a sell deal at that time.
     
  8. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

    SPEEDwithJJ

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2008
  9. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2006
    #9
    Part of the reason for the shortage it seems that 50% of ipad 2 buyers return because they bought the wrong size or color. Just pushes the wait for the rest of us back even further!
     
  10. American Beauty, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

    American Beauty macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2011
    Location:
    Pittsburgh PA
    #10
    Let me know if you decide to sell. I would definitely pay over what you paid and give you a profit - I've been looking everywhere every morning for this model for my husband.
     
  11. AuburnApple macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2008
    #11
    I decided to just sell my 64 GB AT&T Black because I changed my mind and decided to get a Verizon version instead. I'm getting $1000 for mine, which I paid $896 for after taxes, and I just placed an order with B&H for $829 (no tax, free shipping). After it's all said and done I'll come out $170 ahead. I decided against just returning it to Best Buy because I could get a premium for it and basically get compensation for time I spent waiting in line. Plus I keep the credit card points and Best Buy rewards points.
     
  12. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

    SPEEDwithJJ

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2008
    #12
    Very smart decision. :) If I was in your shoes, I'll happily do the same thing every single time. :) By the way, congrats on the profits. :D
     
  13. Lloyd50 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #13
    Im in the same boat, I picked up the 32gig wifi and want the 32gig Att version.
     
  14. MacLifer thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2011
    #14
    Black or white? Wanna trade? :D
     
  15. MacLifer thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2011
    #15
    I will PM you if I decide to go that route. Cool?
     
  16. Lloyd50 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #16
    Sure! it's the black version though, send me a pm with your info.
     
  17. MacLifer thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2011
    #17
    Of course, it would have to be a trade + $$$ in order to equal things out. Not just a straight up trade. I am nice, but not that nice :D
     
  18. Lloyd50 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #18
    I'm down for that! Let's do business!
     

Share This Page