Return policy on engraved iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by andross77, Mar 19, 2012.

1. andross77 macrumors regular

I just called Apple's customer service line and the guy confirmed to me that you can return an engraved iPad for a REFUND or exchange it because of defects (dead pixels, light leakage, etc) for 30 days.

I made this post because when I do a google search or read on macforums there are many uninformed posts saying that if you engrave your iPad you are screwed if something goes wrong. I called customer service and if you read the policies on their website you will not find the exception for engravings. They MAY HAVE changed their policy but currently, you can exchange/refund your engraved iPad just like someone can who has no engraving.

2. doboy macrumors 68000

Hmm... It says 14 days on their site. I wonder which is correct.

3. andross77 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, guy told me 30 days twice cause I made him repeat everything :) Most importantly though he said as long as he's worked there the policy has been you can return engraved items for refund/exchange. That is mainly what I was trying to clear up.

4. doboy macrumors 68000

cool! I just have a feeling that if push comes to shove, 14 days will be enforced over 30 days since it's written on the receipt and on their website. I guess someone could get lucky with a "nicer" customer rep.:)

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

All that has to happen is on day 15 someone says whomever you talked to previously was misinformed, sorry, and you're SOL.

Written Policy >>> Verbal Statement

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

So he repeated false information twice :p

http://store.apple.com/us/open/salespolicies

7. andross77 thread starter macrumors regular

ok thanks for clarification. point is still you can return engraved ipads. everywhere you read on a google search or in macrumors people say you are S.O.L. if you engraved it. I'm here to say, you're not :D

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No they were. This recently changed and it seemed to be a quiet change. I also believe it happened in the U.S. only due to a poster's comments to me about it being different in the UK. As early as middle of last year I know the policy was still only DOA units will be exchanged if you engrave them.

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Correct.

Thats why I have never gotten any of my products engraved because of that return policy. I think it changed some time last year right before the holiday shopping season.

10. andross77 thread starter macrumors regular

Well then this post is even more useful because the policy WAS no engraved returns but NOW you can return/exchange them. So HOORAY for people that got engraved iPads and now there is no reason not to get an engraving if you want one.

11. iMule macrumors 6502

I swapped my 16 GB engraved iPad out for a 32 GB at the Apple Store. No questions asked. You have 14 days. They replace the aluminum back when they refurb it anyways.

12. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I read this post as the return policy was engraved on an iPad.

13. andross77 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha! You shouldn't be drinking, it's barely after noon...:cool:

14. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

It's 5 o'clock somewhere!

15. UrsaMajor macrumors regular

I've replaced iPhone 1 cases with used parts before. It's a little tricky at first but not a big deal with the tools ($3 on ebay). The iPad is the same way. I'm sure apple has a ton of replacement glass and cases in their support channels so it's not a big deal.

Personally I think engraving is dumb. If you want to wipe and resell it becomes less valuable. And a case covers it up. Why bother?

16. andross77 thread starter macrumors regular

Some people buy electronics to enjoy them for personal use and don't care about resale. I think caring about resale of an item so much so you don't personalize it more, is dumb. See how I can have an opinion too? And how it's usually good to keep opinions to oneself when it puts another down by calling it dumb?

17. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I had my previous iPad engraved. Why? because of a moment of (my own) stupidity when it showed in the order process. I pretty much knew that it would be mine forever. Apple wouldn't take it back, unless of course it was defective. When I finally sold it on eBay and disclosed the engraving (my name and cell #), I had to lower the price considerably because of it.

18. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

Does anybody know if you can also exchange for another engraved iPad? If I want to exchange my engraved iPad because of a defect but I also want the exchange to be engraved, will Apple allow it?

19. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Recently also exchanged my engraved 16gb bought from the online Apple store, with a 64 in stock at a local Apple store. No problem at all.

If you wanted to exchange an engraved for another engraved, I think the local store would have to agree to special order one for you, rather than just exchanging for one they already have in stock. They may not agree to this, you'd have to ask. Although I think such a request is pushing it and not worthwhile.

20. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

returns go into the "to be refurbished" pile don't they? And am I incorrect in that they replace the front/back of a refurb unit anyway?

So it would only make sense that they would accept an engraved return as they're probably going to recycle (literally recycle) the back piece anyway.

21. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I think the issue before was that once you asked for the iPad to be engraved it becomes a BTO item, and Apple has a no return policy on their BTO Mac Computers.

Apple probably has acknowledged the difference between Engraved and BTO.

22. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I initially misread the title of your post: I thought it said that you had the return policy engraved on your iPad. :D

23. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

Nope that also seems to have changed. I've successfully returned a BTO Mac last year.

24. Khall102 macrumors newbie

Exchanged Today!

I was having bleeding light coming thru my " New Ipad" that I got on launch. I made an appointment at the Apple Store, and they exchanged without any issues, even with engraving on it. I don't have the engrave meant but that is ok.
    So as long as you are with the one year warranty your fine. I do plan on getting AppleCare for it by March of next year.