Return Purchased AppleCare?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vinay427, Nov 12, 2008.

1. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

I bought the iPhone 3G, along with 3 other phones in a family plan at my local At&t store. The salesperson "high recommended" AppleCare for my new iPhone 3G.

1. The salesperson said AppleCare must be purchased at the time of iPhone 3G purchase. Is this true?

2. main question: After buying AppleCare (unfortunately), I realized that Apple already includes 2 years of phone support. I basically only bought AppleCare for phone support becuase I had previously encountered a problem that could have been fixed over the phone with both my MacBook Pro and Aluminum iMac. Is it possible to return AppleCare to the place I bough it at? It is completely sealed like on the shelf.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

I would jump on the opportunity to get applecare for my iPhone 3G.... Apple care can be purchased anytime within the first year of owning... atleast I believe that's true.... anyways for something as portable and as used as a iPhone I would DEFINITELY recommend that you keep the warranty... after 1 year if your phone needs to be fixed it would cost a lot out of warranty

3. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Anytime within the first year. It is worth it if you dont have it insured any other way. My wife and I have our iphone 3gs insured through our homeowners for 50 dollars each a year. So it was cheaper than apple care. Plus apple care doesnt cover physical damage.

4. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

I got a little confused by that. Do you mean that it can be returned within the first year or bought within the first year? In other words, did you answer my first question or second question in the first sentence of your post? Or can someone else clear my confusion. Thanks to everyone though!

5. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

You can buy it within the first year... I do not believe you can return applecare once it's purchased... but applecare might be different since you have to register the applecare with apple.... your best bet is to call your apple store or customer support

6. tritonj macrumors 6502a

it can be returned as long as you haven't registered the applecare to the iPhone yet, until you do that, it is just a piece a very expensive piece of paper you bought from the store, but there is no point buying it this early in the game, i would just wait till the initial warranty is about to expire and buy it then. why spend the money now when you can use it on something else