Return Rate : iPad vs Xoom

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OSMac, Feb 28, 2011.

1. OSMac, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

OSMac macrumors 65816

A while back I noticed a large number of open boxed iPad's being discounted at the local Bestbuy .

The manager mentioned the iPad while being a great seller,
    has the highest return rate in the computer department.

He suggested... Many people just want to try it or expect it to be more PC like as far as printing etc. :confused:

Based on browsing the Android forums the last couple days,
    it looks like the Xoom is about to take that crown ?

2. St. Germain macrumors 6502

Links?

3. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

I think a lot of people are intrigued by tablets, but don't actually have a use for them. The usage scenario for a tablet is somewhat unique and not very common, imo.

I love my iPad, but I can't suggest it to most of my peers/friends.

4. ozred macrumors 6502

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I would say more iPads were returned because they sold so many while the Xoom has only been out for a few days. Moto wishes they could just sell the same number that Apple has had returned at Best Buy.

I bought my Xoom on Friday and returned it on Sunday. It was very nice and very fast but I would prefer the iPad for what I use it for. I do not expect my iPad to do much past doing the Internet. Steve Jobs will never give the iPad enough freedom to replace any computer of mine.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There seems to be some logic to that.

My mother is interested in an iPad or a computer. She's retiring this year and the computer she has, is from her employer. So she needs to replace and at first she thought an iPad would be a good fit. After discussing her needs and what not we can came to the conclusion that its not a good fit, but rather an iMac.

My point here is she probably would have bought one and then returned it because she did not fully vet out her needs and how the iPad would fit her needs.

7. nomik2 macrumors regular

This thread makes sense, blame the customers who don't know what they are buying.

Quite different vibe here as opposed to the threads about Galaxy Tab return rates...

8. admanimal, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

admanimal macrumors 68040

Based on browsing the things on my desk right now, iPad is the clear winner!

9. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

yes.. assuming that based on what facts? The Xoom has only been out for a short time so suggesting such a thing is pointless and DOA. Time will tell whether Xoom or the Android army will compete (or be returned w/stocking fee) to WorstBuy and other stores such as that. Right now it's too soon to tell and reporting such things doesn't benefit anyone.

agreed that the tablet can't replace all functions or applications for everyone. Right now it's just a media consumption device, even though we have 2 laptops at home already. Soon I'll take it to client meetings (outside of the government work) and out in the field when doing film work. Until then.. media consumption. I did have the money idea of bringing it to an interview and using it to show my demo reel and portfolio. Something I'm also still working through.

10. FotoDirk macrumors member

11. almostinsane macrumors regular

There's probably a lot of Xoom returns because quite a few people got in on the 25% off deal that Motorola had. The Xoom for $600 is a steal!

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yes, it's unbelievably low. There's a good reason why.

The 2% was only the return rate of iPads sold through Verizon. That number is going to be artificially very low, since people didn't buy one of those MiFi setups in the first place unless they really wanted to use an iPad on Big Red. So they're unlikely to have second thoughts.

No one has reported return rates for the majority of normal buyers.

(ITG Investment Research is a horrible source for such comparison stats, btw. Some tech reporters wonder if Apple pays them to come up with their reports which try to make other companies look bad.)

13. eaweber1 macrumors newbie

eaweber1

Best Buy doesn't charge re-stocking fee's anymore....might want to educate yourself....i love people like you....LETS FIGHT THE MAN!!!

14. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

return rates are artificially padded as companies don't want you to really know how many units have been returned. They only want you to know about the sales. Anyone claiming to have SOLID knowledge of returns is probably lying and is a fanboi for their respective side. After all.. it IS the internet and sites like this are naturally bias! I'm not complaining about the bias, just it's a fact.:apple: