Return Refurbished Macbook for new one?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Capt Crunch, May 29, 2009.

1. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

I bought a refurbished Macbook which should be coming Monday. I'm reading online that the screens were updated recently, and I'm betting that my refurbished machine doesn't have it. Because of the iPod promotion and my education discount, I can get a newer machine for around the same price with additional hassle.

Should I return my refurbished machine? If so, how do I go about it? Can I just take it into an Apple store and pay the difference?

2. g3funk macrumors member

g3funk

I bought a refurb 2.4 a couple weeks ago and the screen I received was a 9c89 which apparently, if you read the front page is an updated one. I see a stark difference from my 17inch uMBP but the blacks overall on the Macbook are super sweet and the color is spot on unless you are looking from above. Best guess is to see what the MB comes with for a screen and go from there.

3. secondfox macrumors member

secondfox

You could always return it anyway for a new non-refurbed laptop. I don't have anything against refurbs, but new is good.

4. emt1 macrumors 65816

5. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

9C89 is an old screen. The new ones I believe are 9CA5, and I think 9CA7

6. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

slightly OT, but can you get the free iPod touch with a refurb?

if not, return the refurb and get the new one

7. robindahlia789 macrumors regular

sadly no.

8. Capt Crunch thread starter macrumors 6502

So can I return the refurbished unit at an Apple store? Do I need a reason other than "I want to get a new one for the better screen?"

9. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

You can return for whatever reason you want, since you did not open it, and your within the return period. As for returning to a Apple Store just call them and ask.

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I bought a refurbished macbook 2.0ghz in mid march and I got one of the newer screens. so it all depends on the current stock of laptops they have.

but also, I think people are making way too big of a deal over the screen, I understand people like having whats new, but my friend has the 9c89 screen from Oct '08 and I got my new macbook this year, and side by side, it's not worth the argument people are making out to be.

11. Capt Crunch thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I bought a new macbook today in anticipation of returning my refurbished one, got home, opened it up... and noticed the keyboard wasn't lighting up.

Check the receipt... yep, it's a 2.0GHz. Not what I asked for. Called the apple store tomorrow, after a little bit of back and forth I'm bring it back tomorrow to return it with no restocking fee.

None of the stores has the free printer that I want, I think I'm just going to keep the incoming refurbished macbook. I'm not that OCD about screens.

12. RDM3 macrumors regular

How do you check which screen you have without tearing the MB apart?

13. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Before I bought a Mac and read these forums I would wonder why there were so many refurbs available. After reading more I wonder what the return rate is for a Mac?

Seems folks return them for SOOOO many reasons. Lint between the keys, fingerprint on the screen.

I don't get it.

To the op, you are returning for buying the wrong model. Did you not recognize the price difference or look at the box when they rang you up. Is it me or do other not check these things?

14. Skydiver32 macrumors member

Haha

Yeah, I returned my Mac 5 times, because of a recurrent and chronic finger print problem. When ever I touched the screen, I would leave a ***** finger print :mad: I'm soooo angry.
    I comes off if I wipe it but, I'm a little too OCD for that.

It's a widely known problem, Apple is aware. Im hoping for an IMAGINARY screen on the next refresh

:D

15. Capt Crunch thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I'm returning because the employee brought me the wrong model. I bought several things, an iPod, printer, and the laptop, so I'm not going to add up all the numbers and calculate taxes in my head. The price wasn't unreasonably high, so I didn't question it.

16. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Go into the Display preferences, then go to the Color tab. Highlight your Display Profile and then click on Open Profile. Scroll down and highlight #13 in the list. In the area below it will show a Model #.

17. UrFatMom macrumors regular

I heard it's gonna come out at WWDC

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Open Terminal and type this in:

Code:
    ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6
    And then press return and it should show the model number of the panel.

19. core2duo macrumors member

I tried to return an iPod bought online to an Apple store, and they told me that if it's purchased online it must be returned there as well. Apparently their inventory system tags it differently than the ones they sell in store, or something like that.