Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
@ OP

I can't guarantee this will work, but my advice would be go to the Apple Store NOW (AS IN TODAY BECAUSE THE NEW ONES COME OUT TOMORROW GOGOGOGO) and just return it for either a refund or store credit. Honestly, I would just go for store credit.

Just basically be very polite and explain that you've got it, it's brand new, but either:
1. It's not what you needed, or
2. Play the truth card (this is what I'd recommend) and say you know new models are coming out, you got it brand new on the 10th, haven't opened it, and would just like to get credit to reduce any hassle in exchanging it tomorrow or whenever the new ones are in stock.

Honestly the truth card tends to work for me... Has gotten me a new logic board, a second iPhone 3G, and probably some other stuff I can't think of at the moment.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
This has more or less been my experience. Customer Relations seem especially susceptible to stories of inconvenience. I've only ever complained to Apple about legitimate problems, but I do not feel any contempt for people trying to make questionable returns, exchanges or upgrades. Apple deserves to have to make replacements and upgrades for letting quality go to Hell. Even someone trying to "scam" Apple regarding replacements and so forth probably has a defect of some sort whether they realize it or not.

I laugh every time I hear the "Apple's QC has gone to hell" bit. Just about every Mac machine over the last few years has had its fair share of problems. The original TiBooks (which still seem to be highly coveted machines when in good condition) for example, had poorly designed screen hinges that frequently broke during normal use. Lots of iBook G4s had GPU problems. EVERY Apple laptop (with the exception of my current MBP) I've owned has had an optical drive replaced, right down to my first one, which was a TiBook DVI 1GHz.

In my experience, Apple's QC or no better or worse than the top PC manufacturers. I haven't owned a bullet proof Apple machine in over a decade (and I've owned LOTS of them)...

tremendous

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
UK? Yeah I'm OK. Stop asking.
What happened to owning things for a few years and looking after them and upgrading when you really needed to?

It seems everyone needs to have the newest, fanciest thing RIGHT NOW whether nor not they need it, and trying to pull a fast one on exchanges raises nary an eyebrow

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
did you get it in store or directly from APPLE, either way does it make a difference?

I will try to call apple and get mine upgraded to the new one if they do...as it hasn;t been shipped yet.....if not, I will get the 2.4 Ghz and just show up at an APPLE store in toronto...hoping for a exchange for the new one!

I received it from an Apple Store and they did give me the new MBP. I didn't know if it was going to happen since they weren't on display. But, the Manager brought one up from the back and I think it was the first out the door at 11:30am:D

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
You can still buy the previous gen mbp still brand new sealed in box for $1599 for the 2.4ghz mbp and $1799 for the 2.5ghz mbp! Wow that's an awesome deal.

quam

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2008
This my experience. I just bought the black macbook on Sept 9th. when i heard about the new one coming out a few days ago, I called up my apple store and ask if i could return it. I was told that its pass the 14day return date, and there is nothing they can do. I called back and ask to speak to a manager, and told him that i wanted to switch out the old one for the new b/c i will come back and buy the new 24'' monitor that's coming out next month. He said it was ok as long as i don't mind paying the restocking fee. I went and got my new macbook yesterday.:D:D:D:D:D:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.