Return the iphone 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ucsdmac, Aug 1, 2008.

1. ucsdmac macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

I bought my iphone on July 18 and I was wondering what the return process is. It's kinda confusing cause some people say 14 days..some say 30 days.. So bottom line, if I come in sometime this weekend and return the 3g and cancel my contract ( new at&t member)... do i get my money back for the phone? without the ETF fee? I believe I have to pay the phone bill for this month which is fine. Can I cancel the contract and keep the phone? thanks for all your help

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

-AT&T has a 30 day cancellation policy.

-You don't pay the ETF fee.

-You get your money back for the phone.

-You don't get to keep the phone.

-Canceling the phone after 30 days will allows you to keep the phone but you are charged the ETF.

3. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I dont think you can keep the phone. That would not make sense. You can keep the phone if you cancel after 30 days and pay the ETF.

4. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

cancel before 30 days give phone back.
    Cancel after 30 days pay ETF keep phone.

5. ucsdmac thread starter macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

Thanks for clearing that up. One the apple store's receipt, it says Return date: august 1st, 2008 (which is 14 days ago) .. what does that mean? does that mean if i return it after today, there will be a restocking fee?

6. george99 macrumors newbie

Well, I bout my iphone 3 days ago and I can't stand it. I swear this thing is the North Korea of cell phones. EVERYTHING is restricted, and I can't do anything with it. Windows mobile puts it to shame.
    The only thing I like about it is the GUI, and its physical appearance.

Anyway, enough crying about that. If I was to keep it, and pay the ETF of $175, add that to the $300 that I paid for it, I could sell it on ebay for around $800 (the going price). This seems too easy.
    Anybody can just go to AT&T and open tons of new lines/contracts, pay the ETF, and still make a good chunk of change on ebay.

What am I missing here?

7. dbell macrumors member

Each time you sign up a inquiry is placed on your credit record. After the first few it will jack up your credit rating and they will ask for a $200 deposit for each line, a few more, your credit is more jacked up and they ask for $1000 deposit for each line.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

What time zone do you live in, the one two weeks ahead of mine?

9. phaggard macrumors regular

AT&T is 30 days. Apple has always been 14 days since the first Iphone was introduced.

10. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

You have to return it to ATT since Apple won't take it back after 14 days. Take it to ATT tell you don't like the service, phone, whatever and they will return your money for the phone and cancel the contract.

11. markgamber macrumors 6502

LOL!! That's a pretty good description. I hadn't really noticed how fascist AT&T/Apple was being until NetShare was yanked off the app store with no fanfare or reason. I'm doing iPhone dev and can't just toss mine in the trash but I did get a Tilt to be my full time phone until such time that Apple gets over itself and let's me use my phone in a manner I see fit.

12. MasonMI macrumors regular

Now how does it work if you want to return your iphone and you purchased it at an AT&T store? Do you just go back to that AT&T before the 14 or 30 day time frame and say i dont care for the iphone and return the iphone?

13. george99 macrumors newbie

Just a heads up, I returned mine to AT&T, and there was a 10% RESTOCKING FEE. Not the end of the world, only $30.

14. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

aarrgghh!

so much misinformation!

the iPhone 3G has a 30 day return policy regardless of whether its at an AT&T store or Apple. While its true that everything else Apple sells is bound to only a 14 day return policy, the 3G's has been extended to 30.

and there is a 10% restocking fee.

15. mrl72 macrumors regular

16. furrina macrumors regular

sorry if this is a ridiculous question but should i assume i can't return a 3g iphone (to apple after before 14 days, restocking fee or not, or to AT&T), if i've jailbroken the phone?

17. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

just plug it into your computer, open itunes and hit restore. then bring it back. most likely they won't even look at it if you're returning it, but you might as well restore just to play it safe.

18. furrina macrumors regular

aha, makes sense...thanks!

19. george99 macrumors newbie

AT&T didn't look at mine at all. It wasn't jailbroken, but even if it was, the guy didn't even look to see that it turned on. He just refunded me and that was it.
    My 2 year contract was also cancelled.