Return the iPod touch? [EMERGENCY]

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Pain, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Pain macrumors regular

Guys, I need to know what to do fast.

Being the idiot I can be, I filed for service on my iPod touch, as the metal piece of my headphones is stuck in my iPod. Maybe ten minutes ago, FedEx came to my house and gave me an iPod return box. So, I'm under the assumption that my service has been accepted?

It was bought on the 25th/26th of February and was given to me as a gift, which was activated on the 27th (my birthday). Anyway, should I return the iPod? Or just go to the Apple Store? I don't mind them having my iPod, but I want detailed instructions.

Will I have to pay for this? Also, do I just put my iPod touch, or should I wrap it around something? Should I restore it before I send it? Or should I do SharePod, because I might not get the same iPod touch back...

Are there instructions in the box? I'm so confused on what to do.
    Thanks.

2. PrincessPeach macrumors regular

There should be a padded box provided with instructions. I'd wipe it if anything important is on there, otherwise just make sure you have everything you need as a backup or in your iTunes library and let it go.

You are unlikely to get the same one back. We lost our engravings. So long as it's in warranty you won't have to pay for the courier or service at all.

I'm in the UK but I assume the process is similar wherever you are.

3. Pain thread starter macrumors regular

I see, thanks. Now I just need to find out how to open the stupid box. The Apple website never asked me for credit card information or anything, so I assume it's all under my warranty until next year. Was the iPod you got back a new one?

4. Lorenz0 macrumors regular

The box will be sent on the assumption that it is a warranty issue - However Apple may find that on investigation, it isn't.

I'm assuming it's the headphone jack that came on the headphones that came with the ipod? If not, I'd consider this not to be a warranty issue, as 'Things That You Do To Your iPod' tend not to be covered...

5. Pain thread starter macrumors regular

...so would anything happen if I didn't send the box?

6. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Warranty service, and almost any service, is replaced with a refurbished unit (which are like-new).

7. Pain thread starter macrumors regular

Isn't that a bit unfair? I paid a good price for my iPod touch with a year's warranty, and when I need repair, I get a refurbished one?

I opened the box, read the instructions. I package my iPod, send it to FedEx and yeah. So, if something goes wrong, will they just send me back my iPod? And how do I find out when it's reached?

8. Dino451 macrumors 6502

Apple refurbs look act and feel brand new. They put on a new casing and battery and use refurb internals.

9. Pain thread starter macrumors regular

So, what's the difference? :p

10. PrincessPeach macrumors regular

You most likely won't know the difference between the refurbished one and the new one. You will however know the difference between your old one and the replacement as it will be missing any engraving and any knocks and bumps yours might have picked up ;) as well as the fault you sent it away with.

If you have any problems with them just be polite and firm and you'll probably get your way.

I have a lot of refurbished Mac stuff (including my main Mac Pro) and it's all top quality without any defects or signs of wear and tear. If anything it's more likely to work than a brand new one as you know it's been tested thoroughly before sending it out to you.

11. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

If you can get to an Apple Store and they deem it replaceable, you'll get a new one. I've only gotten refurbs. back from sending it in self-service.

12. Pain thread starter macrumors regular

So, is my problem even covered? I mean, they read my problem and sent my box, so it should be, no?

13. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

The box, basically

14. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I think I'm starting to follow. So you broke part of the headphone jack off inside your Touch and want to know if that's covered??

Is it the standard Apple headphones/ear bud set that came with the unit broken inside? If so most likely yes. You should send back both pieces so they can see.

If it's another manufacturer of headphones and their jack broke off in your Touch, no.

15. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Just because they sent you a box doesn't mean they cover the iPod under warranty. You're confusing the two concepts. I'd rather go to an actual store with actual people than to mail things back and forth.