Return time frame for 3GS purchase?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swindmill, Jun 11, 2010.

1. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

My friend's father just bought a 3GS today. I'm trying to explain to him that he needs to return it, but like other people with no interest in technology, he just says he'll never use the new features. Obviously, there's a lot more to it than new features and I'm in the process of explaining that. My question is, what is Apple's return policy in this situation? I know when they release new updates to existing products, they have a grace period. Thanks for any info as I try to help him make a good decision.

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

3. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

Thanks for the info. I'll just tell him to exchange it as soon as the new one is available.

4. AppleFreak89 macrumors regular

30 days.. so he can just switch it out when the new one comes out and he will be fine:)

5. dave006 Contributor

dave006

He would normally have a 30 BRE period which would allow him to return the iPhone 3GS and exchange it for the iPhone 4. He will have to pay a 10% restocking fee.

There are a couple of other items: Was he notified that his purchase was a Closeout, if yes then he can't return it. It will be on his receipt.

Quote:

With the exception of closeout items, you may exchange equipment one time within 30 days from the date the original equipment was purchased or shipped. Closeout items are not eligible for exchange.

source: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/return-policy.jsp

Dave

6. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

if you got it from AT&T wouldn't your friend's father qualify for the rebate trade in program AT&T has for recent 3GS purchases?

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

If he doesn't care he doesn't care. I never understand why techies think it's their right to force someone to buy the "right" technology.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Amazingly, what you think is cool and necessary isn't shared by everyone. Why pay for things you aren't going to use?

9. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

Wow! You two really carry the moral torch here at MacRumors. I haven't implied that it's my right to force someone to buy something. He bought an iPhone because he wanted one. I am sharing information with him that I think would help him. Namely, to get a newer and more superior piece of hardware at a similar price.

Those comments hardly merit a response, but I have a problem leaving stupidity alone. If you all don't mind, I'll continue doing what I think is in his best interest.

Back on topic...

I'll ask him if it was a closeout. Clearly, if he can take it back in a few weeks and and get a new one, that would be great. I'm not familiar with the trade in program, so I'll have to look into it.