Return Unlocked Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mak713, Sep 29, 2007.

1. mak713 macrumors member

Hello!!

I had actually purchased an Iphone last week(unlocked it) and have been using it since then.I haven't updated it to the new firmware.

Here's my question-It actually has a dead pixel on it and so even though I have 3rd party apps on it,will apple provide me a refund for it or do I need to restore it to its virgin state before taking it in??

Thanks
    Mak

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I would say that if Apple has any evidence that you have messed around with their equipment, they are under no obligation to replace your phone at all. Caveat haxx0r.

3. mak713 thread starter macrumors member

Re:

Hello Skunk!

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I should go about the mess I'm in??

Thanks
    Mak

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You'd be best advised to (a) live with the dead pixel, and (b) not update it, unless of course you can restore it to its factory state. Not either having an iPhone yet (as I'm in the UK) or knowing what you used to unlock it, I have no idea whether that is possible.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

LOL, Can I steal that for my sig? :p

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Sure. It's got a good ring to it...

:)

7. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    You're in a world of hurt. Some of the unlocking methods I've heard actually do what can arguably be described as "damage" to your phone. I say "damage", because it may "do away" with unique information on your phone that can never be reliably restored without sending it back through the last stages in the original manufacturing process (formatting). Read the various boards for information on "re-locking" your version of the unlock hack. From what I've read on TUAW, some IMEI numbers have been reported "munged" by unlocks. Note, this was posted BEFORE the firmware upgrade:
    How to relock your iPhone before the firmware update
    http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/24/how-to-relock-your-iphone-before-the-firmware-update/

I guess that's why they call it "hacking". Some times its on the "bleeding" edge, and people can get "cut". The notion that the munged IMEI seem unrelated to the method, but not necessarily unrelated to unlocking sounds like an unexplored and disturbing lead.

~ CB