Return unopened MBP outside 14 day period?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by starman0147, Feb 23, 2010.

1. starman0147 macrumors member

An friend of mine bought a MBP 14 days again ago which is still unopened, (he was on holiday at the time, which he extended)
    He is now considering returning it upon word of hearing a new updated version will be coming out. It was bought online via the education store with apple care, it is unconfigured.

So his question is as the title suggests, is it possible to return it outside of the 14 day period without occurring a charge, if it is still unopened? Thanks

2. MossyForest macrumors newbie

depends on how cool the employee is. Chances are, no.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am guessing there will be a charge of some kind
    But you should contact Apple directly to find out
    Exceptions are often made for various reasons

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

This is the literature:

So if your buddy bought it 14 days ago today, he still might have a chance. Have him call them up and atleast begin the process, and this will give him another 14 days to send the machine in.

5. starman0147 thread starter macrumors member

Oh well don't sound good, surely store credit would be a viable option?

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Doubt it :(

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

It all depends how far outside the 14 we're talking about, but even if it's a an extra week I don't think it will be a problem with Apple taking it back for at least a full store credit since it hasn't been opened.

8. starman0147 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, will let him know. Do Apple come and collect it for free, or can he just return it to a store.

9. robotkiller macrumors 6502

robotkiller

If Apple had released a new Macbook today, the odds would be significantly better. Otherwise, given the unpredictability of new product announcements, we could always use that excuse.

10. starman0147 thread starter macrumors member

I think today is actually the 15th day.

11. starman0147 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, today was actually the 14th day, he phoned them up and they told him he was allowed to return it but not allow to return AppleCare? Is that right? It was bought in conjunction with it, its ridiculous he has to keep it if its not protecting anything.

12. tga3 macrumors newbie

You can cancel AppleCare and receive a prorated refund:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=417436

13. mattydee87 macrumors regular

I don't know for definite but people have said that you can cancel your AppleCare anytime you like and you will get a refund for the remainder of the AppleCare so your friend should be able to cancel it and get most if not all of his money back? Anyone correct me if I am wrong.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How can you cancel AC when it was never registered?ow can you register it if you're returning the computer?

EDIT: I take it you bought online. In that case, they automatically registered AC. Call and cancel it. You should get a full refund.

15. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

No, somebody told him wrong. You can return Applecare up to the last day it's in service and you will get a prorated refund. It's nothing special about Apple's rule on this, most companies will allow you to get a prorated refund on service contracts.