Resolved Return used iPhone within 14 days possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jay43, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Jay43 macrumors member

Hi,

I've bought an iPhone 6S and can't get used to the size at all even with my big hands. The bigger screen simply doesn't compensate the loss of portability (at least for me) and except from the speed the rest of the new functionalities don't really impress me compared to my previous iPhone 5.

So I'd like to return it and get the 5S. But have any of you returned a used iPhone within the 14 days period in Europe ?

Usually you can return online purchases but they have to be unopened and in the original packaging. Has Apple a different rule about that ?

The return policy of the Apple store doesn't state that it has to be unopened but it doesn't state that it can be opened either so I'm a little confused.

Thanks

2. dylanlewis2000 macrumors member

I'm pretty sure apple will allow you to return it providing you are within the 14 day period. The only other thing to consider is that if you do want the 5S then you are limited to the 32GB version (if buying new).

3. Jay43 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I'll try to return it then.
    16gb is enough for me so that is not an issue :)

4. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

I don't know if it's the same for the whole EU, but in Austria and Germany it's only software, movies, music, audiobooks, games etc. on CD, DVD, BD that you have to return unopened because of copyright reasons.

For other things you don't even need to keep the original packaging. And every online shop has to take everything back within 14 days since you got it delivered without telling them the a reason.

Only if you damage it, sellers are allowed to charge you something. But big companies like Apple or Amazon don't even care about a missing cable or some scratches.

5. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

14 day. You can open it an play with or all you want.

6. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

What would be the point of a 14 day return policy if you weren't allowed to open and use it within those 14 days?

7. skiltrip macrumors 68030

As long as it looks new, meaning no scratches or damage, you're good.

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

You certainly can return open box items from Apple (at least here in the US you can). Heck you can even return it in store if you have apple store near by. I've done this before without any issue. You just have to tell them that you purchased online and that they will need to look up the web order number since it is a different P.O.S system.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

During this time of the year, in the USA, return times are extended to after the holiday season.

10. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

I don't think the 14 day return policy works for
    I don't think the 14 day policy is extended for this reason, is it?

11. Ternary macrumors regular

Source? If this is true, it could be very beneficial.

12. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

i thought this was usually through December months ?

13. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

The OP states they are located in Europe. I'm not sure how the US having an extended return policy would be beneficial to the OP. But yes, in the US many retail companies extend their return policy until after the holidays. There's no source for this year as Apple hasn't announced their holiday return policy yet (from searching google I couldn't find it anyway).

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/christmas-return-period-gone.1939792/

15. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

16. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Policy should be on your receipt, I think.

C

17. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Usually doesn't start til after thanksgiving

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like it's from the beginning of November usually.

19. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

In the UK, you have 28 days to return any online purchase. It's called the distance selling act and is law. Anyone that stats differently is breaking the law.
    Depending on where you are in Europe as to whether that's the same.

20. TheTom9 macrumors member

TheTom9

I know that the UK has extended return policy until Mid January, rest of EU has at least the standard 14 days, they do take back pretty much anything, even after 14 days if you are nice to them.

21. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Where is this posted on the Apple website? Past years it has been announced. I've seen no such announcement yet.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not sure. As far as usual I'm going by what has been mentioned in the past years, as far as this year, it's mainly based on the threads that I linked to earlier where people have gotten products recently with the extended holiday return policy that applied.

23. skiltrip macrumors 68030

My iPhone receipts from Nov all have Jan 8 on them as the "return by" date. I have three of them.

24. Jay43 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for your answers,

I will return my iPhone as soon as the Brussels Apple store reopens. In fact it is closed for the moment due to the lockdown.

I see on my receipt that I can actually return it until January 20. Although considering the low level of service that is the norm here even at the Apple store I will return it within the 14 days period so I'm sure they won't make any trouble.

I just wasn't sure that I could return a used phone.

25. CEmajr macrumors 601

Be careful if you purchased your iPhone through carrier financing. Apparently starting with the release of the 6s/6s Plus the return window is cut to 13 days on financed devices.