Return w/Best Buy?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CosmoPilot, Feb 25, 2011.

1. CosmoPilot, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I'm in the military and recently deployed. To butter my kids up for the deployment, I bought them each a 32GB iPad. I bought these last weekend (18 Feb) from Best Buy. I wanted to wait for the newer ones, so they could Facetime with me. However, I had to leave so I got them what was available.

My question is, if a new iPad is released on March 2nd, can I return these for the newer models? These will be less than 2 weeks old.

Thanks for any info/advice.

Cosmo

**EDIT**
    Just found my answer on BB's website. 14 day return/exchange policy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-To...es/pcmcat204400050023.c?id=pcmcat204400050023

2. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

For anyone interested, my wife said Best Buy took them back no questions asked.

Now I'm just praying the new ones get released on or around the 2nd of March. My kids were not happy today that mommy took them back! They understand why, but they did get attached to their iPads.

3. Yeah Man macrumors member

Buy them a puppy to keep them busy in the meantime. :p:D

4. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

That really did make me LOL!!

5. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Nope, we have a dog...not doing the puppy thing again!

My oldest has a 3GS and my youngest has the iTouch4, so they should be okay for a few more days. Just hope Apple doesn't pull a "it's on sell starting next month" line...or my goose is cooked.

To be honest, I think my wife was getting attached to the youngest's iPad and was a bit perturbed she had to take them back. :)

6. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

You people are silly. Buy it when you buy it and enjoy it, if one comes out in a month or six, so what?

But, really? 2 iPads for children? Sounds like you have to prove something.

I for one hope it gets released in April out of spite for you "latest and greatest" , never satisfied people.

7. CosmoPilot, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011

CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Well, I certainly appreciate your concern and comments. They are most helpful and constructive...definitely requested.

In terms of something to prove, do you have any idea how old my "children" are? Didn't think so. I bet you are the child of someone (unfortunately)...so under your logic, you shouldn't get anything purchased by your parents either. Do you have children? If so, imagine not being able to spend the better part of this entire year with them. I imagine if I were home, I'd take them to see a few movies, perhaps buy them some clothes and take them to dinner a few times. I might even take them to some baseball, basketball, football games. Maybe I'd buy them a fishing license and tackle. BUT, since I won't be able to do those things, a $599 device will have to suffice! Why don't you go prove you're an a***** somewhere else.

In terms of wanting the latest and greatest, I bought a product only to discover a few days later a new one is being released. According to Best Buy, they have a 14 day return policy for such matters. I legally returned these products and got a full refund. I did not through that money away (i.e., gave away the iPads only to buy new ones). As it stands now, I still have my money and no iPads. To this point, I've waited almost a year for the iPad...explain how this is "must have the latest and greatest?"

You seriously need to take some valium and find other things to do with your time/life!

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You're right. He should have given them old shoes so it didn't look like he was trying to prove something. Or better one shoe for them to share because a present each is obviously him overcompensating.

To the OP. You did what I would have suggested. if they have to wait two weeks for their new iPads so be it. They'll cope. Being the children of enlisted, which I really respect BTW, they know how to wait for things they love. It builds character.

9. fairoasis macrumors member

Here, here! Apparently they have no clue what deployment does to families and how important it is to communicate with them while you are areas with less than favorable conditions. It's not like you are bribing them with a toy so you can go spend a year laying on a beach, playing golf, watching TV, and eating out every meal in a gourmet restaurant.
    May the sky always be above you, the ground below, and your aim steady.

10. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Thanks for the comments. I was enlisted at one point in my career...many, many years ago. I'm now an AF pilot. My children are not new to this by any stretch of the imagination. However, it never gets easier saying goodbye for extended deployments. It's all part of the behind the scenes sacrifices military children make everyday as they say goodbye to their moms and dads...never knowing if they will see them again.

11. MallCop macrumors 6502

The canadians would never know what deployment would be like since Americans always protect them. You should never speak about something that you can never imagine what it does to a child. OP good luck to you and come home soon.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I think its more a case of no one hates the Canadians so they wouldn't attack them.

CosmoPilot, thanks for your sacrifice.

13. Hberg macrumors member

Cosmo,

Thank you for your service and sacrifices your family gives to us in the USA. You help free enterprise and capitalism survive, and it is service such as yours that provides us free speech.

I hope that the iPad 2 is released on March 2 so that you can communicate with your family with new technology while serving this great country of ours. If it is released in April, I hope that you can make up for lost time.

Thank you.

14. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

really?
    funny how many Canadians die oversea protecting americans and american assets.

15. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

What's the return policy on those?!

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You made the right choice CosmoPilot, I would have done the same thing. And thank you for your service.

17. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

My father is retired air force... I think I can speak all I want on the subject if I so choose to. This wasn't what I was posting about.

18. xSpiritx macrumors newbie

Buy Back

I hope you got ADH Geeksquad black tie on those ipads.. Best Buy does offer their buy back program.. so within the first 6 months they can buy it back from you for 50% of the purchase price so you can get the new ipad.. when it comes out at half the cost..

I work in PCHO at Best Buy, I felt compelled to tell you this information. And Yes, there is a 14 day return policy with no restocking fee.

19. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

So you can speak about what YOU want to, but I can't spend my money the way I want to?

You're an a*****

Get off this thread!

20. poloponies macrumors 68030

About that buyback program. So on a $500 iPad I pay $70 to enroll and then get $250 back if I return it within 6 months? So I'm really only getting $180 back on a 6-month-old item that's still under warranty and that I can resell to any mope for more than $180? And if it's 6 months and 1 day, then I get back 40%, or $130 net? Pretty grim.

21. iPcdebb macrumors member

iPcdebb

on a side note, to CosmoPilot, I salute you, and thank you for what you do.

22. Old Blue macrumors member

Kind of ironic that this post flew right over your head...

Cosmo - mahalos for the sacrifices you and your family have made and will continue to make so that the freedoms that a few people take for granted will allow them to continue to be free living asshats...

23. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

To all:

Thanks so much for the well wishes. I really didn't expect this thread to turn out this way, but I do sincerely appreciate it. Being away from home is not easy. However, the rewards of serving outweigh the heartache.

On topic, we currently await a new iPad release. While it doesn't replace their father, it keeps them occupied while I'm away. Most forward deployed locations now have WiFi, so staying in touch via Facetime is something they look forward to. Doing so on a new iPad will make them even happier!

See you all when I return.

24. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Absolutely true. I've served with many great Canadians and other allies overseas. Each of them proudly fighting the good fight, and I've been proud to call each of them my brother-in-arms. We all serve to protect each other. Our nations are close allies and we mutually defend one another!