return ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cathyow, Feb 23, 2011.

1. cathyow macrumors newbie

My husband bought an Ipad at the Apple Store Feb.13th it can be returned by Feb. 27th. Would you return and wait for the new Ipad 2? I know the announcement is March 2. Do you think the new Ipad 2 will be avaiable right away? The new policy at Apple removed the restocking fee correct?
    Thank You for any help here.

2. jamied95 macrumors 6502

It probably won't be available straight away, but seen as it's probably only 4 weeks away - it's got to be worth returning, and getting a new one - unless you don't see yourself needing a Facetime Camera (etc). I know I wouldn't be bothered, but whatever you think is right!

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'd return it now.

Then once the new version is out either buy it, or grab one of the flood of used ipad1's that will hit ebay & craigslist. :)

You say you know the announcement is March 2nd? Do you mean you know that's what's speculated/rumored by several press outlets, or you have actual knowledge that this will happen?

It wouldn't make sense to announce it an not have it available within a couple of weeks; the announcement will kill sales of the existing ipad, so they logically would want to minimize the interval time.

As to what the reality will be, we'll know when they tell us.

Remember too that you're trying to make a decision based on rumors and speculation and guesses.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

At this point, with an impending release so close, you may be better off returning it now, and then seeing what the iPad 2 will be.

5. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Getting old tech is something I never recommend. iPad 2 for the same money will have much better hardware (dual-core CPU + GPU, 512MB RAM, etc) which is way more future-proof. Highly recommended that you return it.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't call it old tech, and I wouldn't be surprised NOT to see a dual core cpu in the iPad 2.

I think the iPad 2 is going to be a small update, but being that apple already planned a media event presumably for the iPad 2, it makes sense to return it and see what they do.

7. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Phones are getting dual-core CPU and 1GB RAM. Clearly single-core 1GHz processor and 256MB RAM is old tech, especially for a tablet.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Well, looks like March 2nd is the day. Although the question of availability is open, since it is a likely update to an existing product I doubt there will be a lengthy time between announcement and availability.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1101136

In the very worst case, if you don't like what the new one has to offer you should be able to get a first-gen via the refurb store on apple.com or pick up a used first-gen via craigslist for a good price from someone who is upgrading.