Returned 1 Week Old Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ryannazaretian, Oct 10, 2009.

1. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

So I ordered a Refurbished 500GB Simultaneous Dual-Band Time Capsule off the Apple Refurb Store the last week of September. I got it last Thursday and installed it. I thought it was great... that was until I actually began using it.

In my apartment, my roommates play Xbox 360. We have it hard wired directly to the Time Capsule and they were lagging out of Halo3 ODST like mad. I was also having trouble with my Macbook Pro getting a decent signal in my bedroom not 30 feet away. It was also cutting the network bandwidth on our already slow Metrocast Cable Internet in half (Getting 5mbps instead of 10mbps and causing high latency from an average of 60 hard wired to about 180ms at the lowest going through the TC.) On top of this, I'm now seeing a lot of the people saying that their TCs failed after 18 months.

Well, that all convinced me to return it. I talked with Apple and tried to get it fixed and did a hard reset on it. Didn't help. Getting a full refund. Sad that I paid $223 for a hard drive and router that is worse than the 2 year old Buffalo that struggles with the traffic we have with the 4 laptops, 1 desktop, 2 Xbox 360s, 2 DS's 1 iPod Touch, and my phone. The Time Capsule was choking with very little traffic.

I ended up ordering a Netgear WNDR3700. It seems to have really good reviews and all the features that I was looking for (Wireless N, Gigabit ports, Sim Dual Band). I guess I'll have to go back to my NAS drive for Time Machine, but that has been working just fine for a year now.

No questions from me really, just wanted to give my experience and maybe hear a little feedback from other Time Capsule users. I do wonder if I have a defective (still defective since it's a refurb) Time Capsule.

2. Matt-Man-Plus macrumors regular

Sorry to hear that man. That's why I don't by anything refurbished. You never know if the reason it was returned for in the first place was actually fixed, or if they somehow determined there wasn't anything wrong with it at all. I have a 1TB TC that I bought new and it works flawlessly. The wireless speeds are fantastic. I play Wii online, have a macbook, 2 windows machines and a 2nd gen iPod Touch that use it frequently without any hiccups. Couldn't be happier with the device actually.

3. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I picked up one of these from BestBuy last week. I'm using it only as an access point, so I can't comment on its routing capabilities, but its wireless functionality is pretty awesome. Good strong performance all around, 70mbps, real world, transfer rates with WPA2 AES enabled.

4. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Sweet, good to hear. I haven't read a bad review on it yet. I can't wait.

I'm also about to switch ISP's. Right now I have Metrocast 'High-Speed' Internet. We have the 10Mbps DL, 1Mbps UL Gaming package.

This is why I'm switching.
    And this...

I call them and they say that the problem is out of their hands... or it's my problem. Or better yet, that my connection is just normal. That's what they usually say.

Hello BBB and AT&T DSL, Goodbye Metrocast, you won't be missed.

5. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Holy smokes that is bad. Are you sure that isn't Prodigy dial up? :D

6. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Haha... now imagine that, but twice as bad... That's how it was with the TC attached.

7. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I definitely don't blame you for wanting to return it then. :cool:

8. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

The sad thing is when Im connected to my local university wireless those speeds would be considered fast for me and Im standing under an access point!