Returned 1st iphone 3GS and its already been resold!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by topherg, Jul 8, 2009.

1. topherg macrumors regular

I was bored and decided to check the warranty status of my old defective iphone 3GS that I returned and It appears to have been resold already! I bought it on launch day 06-19-09 and returned it on 06-23-09. On apples online service assistant https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do It says that the warranty on it expires on 06-26-10 which means it was resold on 06-25-09! That seems really fast to refurb an iphone and issue it to someone, unless apple just repackaged it and sold as new!:confused: How long does it take to refurb an iphone and do they do it in store or do they send it off? I would hate to think that apple just throws some shrink-wrap back on the box and resells returned iphones!

2. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

What was the defect? Could have been an easy fix.

3. Halamolo macrumors regular

I suspect myself Apple does this. Sickens me littlebit to think about it.

4. topherg thread starter macrumors regular

yellow screen and uneven bezel... instead of getting a refurb at the genius bar I just told the cashier person that I wanted to exchange my white 32gb 3GS for a black 32gb 3GS... they swapped it out with a new black 32gb 3GS.

5. topherg thread starter macrumors regular

Me too! Thats what sparked my curiosity to check my old iphone serial# to see if it had been resold.

6. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

If it was an easy fix it's probably gone back out as a refurb unit and not resold.

7. iluvgr8tdeals macrumors member

Since 'yellow screen and uneven bezel' is relative, minor, subjective and does not affect the useability of the iPhone, they probably polished it clean and sold it to a less discriminating customer! The posts about yellow screens on iPhone 3gs were debated here, and many did not even think their screens were 'yellow'!

See all posts about scratches, etc, and you shall see why some guys would have gladly picked your former iPhone...

And that just means that there shall be one less customer to piss off! (iPhone 3gs are in short supply in stores!)

8. molala macrumors 6502a

Since you didn't tell them anything was wrong with it, they probably never inspected it that closely, just checked that it works, cleaned it up and sold it as new.

9. Hmm macrumors regular

Hmm

10. Londonluke macrumors member

100% correct and if the new owner finds out he would have a great claim to make.

11. alFR macrumors 68020

It's probably gone out as a refurb replacement. Not exactly implausible since you didn't return it for a defect, just to swap colours: as said above, clean/reinstall firmware/package in refurb box won't take very long.

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

How do you know it was sold as new?

Don't they sell iPhones refurbs as well?

13. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

I always thought that part of the refurb process was to change the serial number...

14. dagomike macrumors 65816

My iPhone warranty says it expires on June 23, 2010. I bought and activated on the 19th. I don't think it's an exact thing.

Odds are yours is pending refurb for sales and exchanges in a couple months.

15. kylebc86 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue too. . . and dunno if i want a white iPhone now either, only had it 2 days, and was thinkin of exchanging it for a black. . . did you just go in and say you would like to exchange it?? did you give a reason or anything?? is there any reason why Apple will refuse to exchange the iPhone for you??

16. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

It also depends on their definition of "new". They could have 30 days since the original purchase.

Anyways, they probably just did polish it up a bit and give it to some other customer who wanted a replacement. Most customers probably wouldn't even notice these "defects".

17. robvia macrumors member

Agree with the posts up above, the yellow screen is not a big issue.

I've had my phone for a week, and the screen is fine. Yes, it's a darker shade than my first gen model, and I even posted pics in another thread. I have brightness turned down, everything off, and the battery lasts 2 days.

So all those people who complained about a yellow screen and bad battery, were over reacting. Of coarse they have every right to return the phone and complain.

I'd say they simply checked out the phone, and sent it out as a refurb. It doesn't take them long to tear them apart and fix any issues. You would be very surprised at how fast workers can take apart phones and swap out parts.

18. noobinator macrumors 601

Lol so what this story tells me is that all u returning iPhones with minor defects
    are getting phones returned for minor defects. No wonder u can't find a perfect one

19. chriszzz macrumors 6502

So you return defective things to stores without telling them there is a problem?

Nice way to screw over other customers. ******.

20. aristobrat macrumors G4

The only thing Apple uses refurb'ed iPhones for is Genius Bar replacements.

All iPhone/iPod refurbs get a new outer shell (with a new serial number), along with a new battery.

21. topherg thread starter macrumors regular

I just walked in told the person at the main checkout counter that I would Like to exchange for a black one... no questions asked they just swapped it out with a new one. No restocking fee!

22. am17 macrumors member

I bought mine on 6/19, had it replaced 6/21, and this is what the site tells me: Our records indicate that your product is covered under Apple's Limited Warranty which is estimated to expire on June 27, 2010.

So you may be jumping to conclusions, as this website isn't very precise.

23. Halamolo macrumors regular

DING DING! Exactly. :p

Btw, do they disinfect these refurbs? I wouldn´t want a phone with some other guys bacteria! :eek:

I want a virgin 3GS straight from the factory!

24. topherg thread starter macrumors regular

Lol! Me too!! Factory fresh is the only way to make sure its new!

I remember reading on here awhile back that someone bought a new iphone 3g from att and it was already signed in with someone's itunes account:eek:

25. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Yet you can order refurb iPhones from AT&T.....