Returned AT&T iPad for Verizon... Didn't cancel 4G service

majordude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
Bought an AT&T on Friday. Paid $30 for 4G but it sucked. Took it back and got a Verizon. I wiped the iPad but didn't turn off the 4G.

The Apple guy said I am month to month but I think it could be reoccurring. Which is it?

If it rebills how do I stop it? Can I get a refund for 35 hours of service?

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
Yes, I'd call AT&T since if it is anything like Verizon it will be recurring unless you cancel it.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
AT&T definitely recurs until you cancel. Should say so in the email they sent you when you signed up.

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
You can manage and cancel your AT&T iPad account online.

I did the exact same thing, returned my AT&T 4G iPad for the Verizon. AT&T was running at .7mbps here, Verizon is 12~19mbps

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Bought an AT&T on Friday. Paid $30 for 4G but it sucked. Took it back and got a Verizon. I wiped the iPad but didn't turn off the 4G.

The Apple guy said I am month to month but I think it could be reoccurring. Which is it?

If it rebills how do I stop it? Can I get a refund for 35 hours of service?

This happened to me. I called AT&T and since it's prepaid, and when you agreed to it at the time of purchase, you can't get a refund. Remember it said "you will be charged immediately." It would be different if the account was postpaid. In any case, you're just going to have to consider that $30 as a loss and be more decisive in the future. I had to go through several AT&T reps and since it wasn't attached to my account, they couldn't "find" it. I provided them the number I was assigned and unfortunately the dept is closed on weekends. I was antsy and couldn't wait until Monday.

I read around and it seemed like the only to cancel the service was from the device itself. I even called the Apple Store and ask them if they can grab the device I returned and do it for me, if I provide my username and pw. Or if I can go back and do it myself. They said they/I couldn't and I had to go through AT&T. So, browsing through att.com/ipad website, I noticed that I could log in to my account similar to the one I could through the iPad. It also had the same options of changing billing, plans, etc. And, thankfully an option to cancel plan to prevent future/recurring charges after this prepaid month.

Here is the website, log on with the username/pw that you would use if you were on your iPad. https://dcp2.att.com/OEPNDClient/