Returned from Depot repair.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Factionrider, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Factionrider macrumors member

So, apple just replaced my top case, bottom case, and logic board under warranty in my 2016 15” MacBook Pro. “Sweet, that’s a whole new computer!” Is what I was thinking.

However, in the About this Mac window it no longer shows “15 2016, four thunderbolt 3 ports”

It now just reads “MacBook Pro”

Is this typical of a depot repair in the forums experience? What kind of red flag does that trip for y’all if you were looking at buying it?

I read online that BTO configs never have anything but the model name, however some eBaying has shown that to be untrue.

Honestly, I know it’s probably cosmetic but if I was looking at it used on eBay it would be a pretty big red flag for me. I’m wondering what my options are. For now I’m just planning on updating to Mojave and seeing what happens.

2. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

Considering you can actually change the info displayed in ‘About this Mac” by modifying the contents of a few files, I wouldn’t worry about it.

3. Factionrider thread starter macrumors member

Well yeah, I’m aware of that, but I can’t in good faith make the required mods, and sell it that way.

I typically buy apple products because the higher resale a couple years down the road mostly offsets the ‘apple tax’. I’m kinda concerned that won’t be the case this time.

4. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

Correct, but you also cannot completely trust any such images that are posted on eBay listings either, which you stated as a factor in your being concerned. I guess, in a round-about way, I’m saying don’t worry about it, because any used listing posted onlne can have that info easily modified anyway, and any knowledgeable buyer will most likely know that.

5. Factionrider, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

Factionrider thread starter macrumors member

Except you can trust those images, because nothing is saved in firmware and sanitizing it will reveal the true specs if they’ve been changed. If it doesn’t match, eBays guarantee will cover you for sure.

6. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

If “sanitizing” it will change the contents of the photo, then I don’t see how the original photo could be trusted. You’re saying it can, which makes zero sense to me. Then you stated eBay guarantee will protect the buyer, which is true ... but that doesn’t negate the fact that seller’s can easily fake the info displayed in “About this Mac”, which is your whole point for starting this thread (the info on yours has been changed after service.) I’m simply saying that because it can be faked, you shouldn’t worry about it

In the end, it’s your stress, not mine, so you do you, but I believe you’re making a mountain out of a mole hill, TBH.

7. Chocomonsters macrumors regular

How long did it take for repair turn around time?

8. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

Yeah.

You can check the hardware on all of System Report; The model number is laser engraved on the bottom cover; there is a considerable variety of software that will read these specs for you.

If you really can't sleep at night because of this, format your laptop - that thing should come right back.

9. Factionrider thread starter macrumors member

It was actually stupid fast. Dropped it off Saturday, they shipped it to the repair depot Monday, they fixed it and I have it today (Wednesday). Four days from the apple store to being returned.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2018 ---
    This is a big part of what I’m wondering. If it comes back after updating to HS or Mojave I’ve got no issues at all. My current speculation is that with the 2017 top case the serial won’t register on Sierra and that updating to an OS the 2017 shipped with will fix it.

However, if it’s because the serial is unreadable or something else and it just doesn’t pull the data at all anymore, that to me is indicative of a larger issue.

10. Factionrider thread starter macrumors member

Update: Mojave fixed the reporting, and after some further digging, Apple flashed the old serial onto the new board, and even laser engraved the new bottom case with the correct serial as well.

This makes the turnaround ridiculously impressive.

11. iPhonagain macrumors member

iPhonagain

Yeah, that's a seriously fast turnaround for what they did! Hope it keeps working good for you.