Returned iMac, where to go from here

Discussion in 'iMac' started by clearyjp, Apr 8, 2010.

  1. clearyjp macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2007
    Location:
    Sydney, Australia
    #1
    First off, I don't intend this to be another iMac problem thread. I think they are a brilliant machine, and anyone thinking of buying one should not be dissuaded by the problems some people are encountering.
    After returning 3 faulty iMacs and then getting a refund, and trying to get in contact with a store manager multiple times through email and phone for the past two weeks, I finally was able to get in contact with a manager to discuss the whole situation. She apologised a number of times, saying she felt horrible about it all, acknowledged my situation was unacceptable, and gave me a couple of options to make me a happy customer again.
    1. I can try again for another iMac, and receive an upgrade (C2D to i5)
    2. I can take one of the current C2D MacBook Pro's (15") and they will waive the difference (around $300ish)
    or 3. I can wait for the new MacBook Pro's to be released (although she told me she has no idea when that will be), and they will waive the difference assuming it's similar to current pricing.

    What would you guys do? I really don't want to be disappointed with another iMac. I like the MacBook Pro's, but don't want to get one just now if updates are around the corner.
     
  2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

    fhall1

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2007
    Location:
    (Central) NY State of mind
    #2
    I would take option 1.....eventually, law of averages says you'll get a good iMac.
     
  3. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2010
    #3
    ^^ As above, I would try again. I love my iMac and couldn't imagine going back to all the cables and mess on my desk.
     
  4. spcdust macrumors 6502a

    spcdust

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    Location:
    London, UK
    #4
    Tricky one but option 1 is an attractive free upgrade as is option 3 if the MacBook Pro's update is as close as some sources are reporting.
     
  5. Btom macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2009
    #5
    If you can wait, wait for the iMac line refresh?

    Tom B.
     
  6. spcdust macrumors 6502a

    spcdust

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    Location:
    London, UK
    #6
    Might be a long wait - wouldn't be surprised if we're talking September before we see that happen?
     
  7. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    #7
    Well, I think you either need/want a desktop, or a laptop. That's what you have to decide first.
     
  8. Spidermonkey macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2010
    #8
    I would give it 1 last shot with the I5 upgrade for free.
     
  9. clearyjp thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2007
    Location:
    Sydney, Australia
    #9
    No, can't wait that long. At the moment, all I have is my Eee Pc which isn't really suitable for uni work.

    Well I have always owned a desktop, although most people I know these days have a laptop even if they don't need the portability.

    I think I have decided that the whole ordeal has put me off the current iMacs. I just don't want to take another risk, and I know opening up the box of a 4th one wouldn't be exciting like the purchase of a new computer should be.
     

Share This Page