iPad Returned iPad Air, Returning iPad 4 refurb...now what?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KhunJay, Jan 9, 2014.

1. KhunJay macrumors regular

KhunJay

Had to get a refund on the air because of the screen.

Got a refurb ipad 4 whose screen i was happy with and getting ready to enjoy.

Now its got a home button problem....button suddenly gets unresponsive for no reason at all. Then after a while it becomes ok, then reverts to not working.

I am sick of all the hard resets, restores and other so called fixes....nothing works.

This is unusual behaviour for a device that has been conditioned to new and not even 14 days old.

I've never had such bad luck with my 5 other apple devices...getting sick of ordering replacements and praying for a good unit.

2. calvol macrumors 6502a

Go with an iPad2 refurb or wait for the Nexus 10.2. I returned my Ultimate Crashing Machine, waiting for the N10.2.

3. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I'd try another iPad 4. The screen will likely be good and the home button problem on your current one is probably just bad luck. If you have been using a retina screen it may be hard to go back to the iPad 2.

4. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I'd simply do whatever I thought I needed to do and just get on with life.

But that's just me.

5. nickdylan macrumors regular

Return it and try again...?

:(:(:(

6. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Thats the problem with refurbs, if the problem is hit and miss they won't pick it up so you are buying someone else's reason for returning.

7. eggersj, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014

eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

Wait for 7.1 and buy an air again... that will make it a damn near perfect tablet from what I read.

I am SOOOO glad I don't have the videophile eyes that you guys do. I have had 3 air's, and they've all had great screens. At least, IMO.

That being said, if I could see an issue, I would certainly exchange it until I got a good one.

8. severage, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014

severage macrumors regular

It is HILARIOUS that you're recommending the Nexus 10 (2nd gen) since you want to avoid crashing, since Nexus 10 crashing is what made me switch to iOS in the first place.

The Nexus 10, before Android 4.3, had an inherent memory leak in the UI that caused the system to run out of ram and crash after just a few hours of use. My first one had the leak, and the 6 replacements I got all had the leak. Just google "Nexus 10 surfaceflinger" or something. There was a 100+ page thread on google forums dealing with it.

I just found that ironic is all.

9. KhunJay thread starter macrumors regular

KhunJay

To all the stuff that's going wrong now apps are crashing repeatedly. This was with iOS 6.1.3. And it goes to home screen and search screen automatically like some aluminum poltergeist.

Wonder if I should get a kindle fire. But then I'd have to give up my apps. Sheeeeeeeit!

10. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Go get another air. I love my air no screen problems.

11. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Best answer yet....entirely too much thought and discussion goes into these trivial decisions....I am not sure what some of you would do if you faced a life altering choice....I fear a meltdown ......:eek:

12. Wando64, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014

Wando64 macrumors 6502

I occasionally get this problem with my Air. Nothing wrong with the hardware. IOS7.0.4 is still flaky unfortunately and sometimes a reboot is required. Hopefully the next iteration will solve many of these problems.
    I should point out that in my case it is not just the home button that freezes but the whole thing, usually followed by a spontaneous reboot.

13. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

OP is running OS 6.1.3 so I don't think this will help. I would return/exchange the device and try again with an Air or iPad 4 refurb. I love my rMini, but they have potential issues as well and a much smaller screen.

14. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I returned the Air before the extended period expired and I'm living with the first Mini with cellular. No large iPad for me.

15. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

I would try another iPad 4 before making a big mistake like a Kindle.

I did similar to you and returned my Air for an iPad 4. I was lucky enough to get a 4 that so far seems perfect.

16. calvol macrumors 6502a

Not so fast my friend. I tried a Nexus7.2/Kitkat over the holidays, June2013 build, and it had a system crash every 2.5 days. I returned it hoping that the N10.2 will have worked that issue out by the time it is released. Even so, I found a crash every 2.5 days with the Nexus7.2 much more palatable that the Air crashing/reloading multiple times a day. An iOS device that can't even load Apple's website without crashing is downright embarrassing!

17. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

lol I have been enjoying my air since release ,op ease up a little.

18. deaglecat macrumors 6502

So true. The engineer who refurbs it may not be as OCD as the original owner.

19. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester