Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I am starting to wonder if the problem here is consumers have far more rights in the UK than they do elsewhere and the mix of posters here just can’t fathom that?

My wife returned a couple of packages to Next here this morning. If they now go missing in the network, she won’t be held accountable. Companies organise returns as part of their business model and what has happened here is unfortunate, but totally on Apple to rectify. If the OP is asked to chase the missing item on Apples behalf, that’s pretty much unheard of.
Exactly this. If Apple arrange the collection and send packaging/provide a returns label then it’s on them to ensure they correctly insure the package too. I was told that they do have insurance with UPS but they cannot claim until a certain amount of time has passed and UPS have completed an investigation at their end.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
That sucks. Email Tim Cook
No need. The OP has already solved his issue and is probably living the life with his replacement iPhone, hence his silence.

Anyways, coming back to the topic, the blame here lies solely with Royal Mail who lost the package, therefore Apple will reimburse the OP with a replacement iPhone and Apple will get the compensation of Royal Mail, simples.

Reactions: jbachandouris

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
Me thinks the OP is sitting back LHAO at all the discord he got started on this thread. He’s been silent here and on Twitter where he posted the same kindness about Apple.

Reactions: jbachandouris

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Me thinks the OP is sitting back LHAO at all the discord he got started on this thread. He’s been silent here and on Twitter where he posted the same kindness about Apple.

He’s probably not responded because he’s as bewildered as the rest of us as to how many people don’t know how a returns process works in the United Kingdom.

Nicolas_Poy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2021
Hello everyone !!!

I'm impressed, there was so many comments in only a few days.
So first of all, thanks to the macrumors community for sharing their thoughts on the issue I had with Apple.
If I went "missing" it is only because I didn't have any update from Apple....until recently.

They shipped a replacement phone last night and I received it today. DHL....these guys are impressive.

Anyway, a huge thanks to @Apple_Robert who advised me to send an email to tcook@apple.com.

A guy from Cork - IRELAND liaised with me after I sent an email explaining what happened and within 3 days, I received a positive feedback saying "we will send you a replacement".

A very positive outcome but I won't say "Thank you so much Apple" for two reasons :
1. It was their responsibility from the beginning
2. It took a month, was stressful and I felt...left alone after their initial "No".

Some of you were skeptical about my story; I don't blame you, I would have probably done the same.

Here's a few things :

A. What the Service Terms says (when you send a repair request to Apple) :

Apple may provide prepaid way bills (and if you no longer have the original packaging, Apple may send you packaging material). If Apple does not provide prepaid way bills or packaging, you must arrange for the shipping and packaging of your product to Apple’s repair service location, as described at the time of ordering, and you may want to consider insuring your package in case of damage or loss during shipment.

Quite straight forward isn't it : if no label provided, you have to insure it. In my case, I already had the "prepaid way bill" from Apple.

B. My first conversation with the CS was gentle, they've never been harsh but they basically said "Sorry, but it was decided that no replacement will be provided ; I'm sorry I am also quite surprise with their decision" and when I asked to escalate the issue "We are the highest level of escalation".

C. Some of you asked for proof but you can understand that I do not want to share any tracking number or invoices on internet....I mean...come on, we all know it wouldn't be smart.

D. Guess what, when I received the replacement from Apple, the "Expeditor" address doesn't says "Apple", it just says "VULCAN WAY, LUTTERWORTH"....while the label I initially received from them was indicating "APPLE"

E. Every proof I had was sent to Apple : iPhone 12 Pro invoice, Tracking ID from Royal Mail, Receipt from Royal Mail. I was about to ask APPLE for the voice recording of my phone call with the CS in which I clearly said "I need to send to phone back, it is faulty". I could even have asked Royal Mail to give me the video tape of me dropping the package (not sure if it would have been possible tbh). And please, don't say "how can you prove what's in the box" who would bet his package would be lost :D

Anyway, in the end, I have my replacement, I didn't create a topic here to "bad mouth" Apple for no reason ....god knows I was pissed at them and finally, I didn't hide any detail from you guys.

But happy to give you more details / info or to discuss it further with you.

Thanks again all :)

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Hello everyone !!!

So first of all, thanks to the macrumors community for sharing their thoughts on the issue I had with Apple.
If I went "missing" it is only because I didn't have any update from Apple....until recently.

They shipped a replacement phone last night and I received it today. DHL....these guys are impressive.

Anyway, a huge thanks to @Apple_Robert which advised me to send an email to tcook@apple.com.

A guy from Cork - IRELAND liaised with me after I sent an email explaining what happened and within 3 days, I received a positive feedback saying "we will send you a replacement".

A very positive outcome but I won't say "Thank you so much Apple" for two reasons :
2. It took a month, was stressful and I felt...left alone after their initial "No".

Some of you were skeptical about my story; I don't blame you, I would have probably done the same.

Here's a few things :

Apple may provide prepaid way bills (and if you no longer have the original packaging, Apple may send you packaging material). If Apple does not provide prepaid way bills or packaging, you must arrange for the shipping and packaging of your product to Apple’s repair service location, as described at the time of ordering, and you may want to consider insuring your package in case of damage or loss during shipment.

Quite straight forward isn't it : if no label provided, you have to insure it. In my case, I already had the "prepaid way bill" from Apple.

B. My first conversation with the CS was gentle, they've never been harsh but they basically said "Sorry, but it was decided that no replacement will be provided ; I'm sorry I am also quite surprise with their decision" and when I asked to escalate the issue "We are the highest level of escalation".

C. Some of you asked for proof but you can understand that I do not want to share any tracking number or invoices on internet....I mean...come on, we all know it wouldn't be smart.

D. Guess what, when I received the replacement from Apple, the "Expeditor" address doesn't says "Apple", it just says "VULCAN WAY, LUTTERWORTH"....while the label I initially received from them was indicating "APPLE"

Anyway, in the end, I have my replacement, I didn't create a topic here to "bad mouth" Apple for no reason ....god knows I was pissed at them and finally, I didn't hide any detail from you guys.

I am glad that you finally got your replacement phone and that Tim Cook's office handled it as it should have been handled to begin with.

Thanks for the update.

Nicolas_Poy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2021
The Royal Mail website says compensation is only covered up to £100, where did you get the figure of £200?
Jeez £100 wouldn't even cover my airPod. Maybe it is £100 but trust me, when you enter £1,099 and you get an alert saying "We cover only up to £***" you only think "I'm fu****"

Reactions: Dean_UK

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I am glad that you finally got your replacement phone and that Tim Cook's office handled it as it should have been handled to begin with.

Thanks for the update.

I had to do the same when service centre near me botched my iPhone 8 battery replacement so bad that the display was dead but the phone was working. The only solution they offered was replacement at cost. I persisted that I gave you a device to replace the battery, you had a perfectly working device before and now want to return a device with dead display! Tried to work with Apple Customer Care, did not help. Shot emails to @ apple .com addresses and Ireland office took over, giving me a new replacement device for the price of battery replacement charges plus a job fee charge (for a second invoice they created for God knows what reason).

It was a harrowing experience but ultimately I was done right by.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Hello everyone !!!

Anyway, a huge thanks to @Apple_Robert who advised me to send an email to tcook@apple.com.

Here's a few things :

E. Every proof I had was sent to Apple : iPhone 12 Pro invoice, Tracking ID from Royal Mail, Receipt from Royal Mail. I was about to ask APPLE for the voice recording of my phone call with the CS in which I clearly said "I need to send to phone back, it is faulty". I could even have asked Royal Mail to give me the video recording of me dropping the package (not sure if it would have been possible tbh). And please, don't say "how can you prove what's in the box" who would bet his package would be lost :D

Glad that you returned here and glad that it is all sorted for you. People here were really losing it owing to...let's call it suspense.

Reactions: Nicolas_Poy

Bustermd

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
I'm glad this got resolved.

I have never had a bad service experience with Apple as a company. With individual employees, sure, but you can't blame Apple for that and we are all human, people have bad days sometimes and some people are just jerks. This is one reason why I choose to stick with Apple despite other companies having sometimes more interesting products.

And believe me, companies have a certain amount of loss factored in to their balance sheets. Replacing the phone was never in question, they prefer to keep you happy even if you are at fault. Thievery and shenanigans are the norm. They expect their customers, couriers, suppliers, and their own employees to rip them off to some extent and allow for that in their calculations.

Reactions: Nicolas_Poy

abhi182

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2016
I am starting to wonder if the problem here is consumers have far more rights in the UK than they do elsewhere and the mix of posters here just can’t fathom that?

My wife returned a couple of packages to Next here this morning. If they now go missing in the network, she won’t be held accountable. Companies organise returns as part of their business model and what has happened here is unfortunate, but totally on Apple to rectify. If the OP is asked to chase the missing item on Apples behalf, that’s pretty much unheard of.
It’s largely the same everywhere.
If I return something I ordered from say Amazon India , they arrange for the pickup
It could be their own logistics firm (yes, they run one here) or could be Fedex or whatever.
It’s not really my prerogative or business to question it (or add extra insurance or whatever)

My responsibility ends the moment I hand over the parcel to the pick-up agent - period!
I haven’t ever had a need to make a return on an expensive item - but if the need arose, I would probably ask them to scan it in front of me - but that’s about it.

If they lose it, it’s on amazon - simple as that!

In the unlikely scenario that I returned trash in said package - in the ridiculously unlikely hope that they would somehow lose it - that would be my gain.

I am unsure how the OPs situation is any different - There is no logical reason for him/her to have made a fake return.
The onus is entirely on Apple UK once it was picked up by their authorized agent (Royal Mail in this case)

TBH this thread is weird - I find it hard to understand how or why one would even suggest that the onus of this unfortunate sequence of events is on the OP.

Edit: Glad to know it was resolved at the end - but this should have never happened to begin with.

Last edited:

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Glad your case was resolved, I’m not having any luck it seems with mine.

So, Apple have come back saying there’s no trace of my parcel and therefore, it’s not their responsibility even though I have CCTV evidence of the parcel being collected from my property and tracking through UPS’s network which then suddenly stops the evening before delivery. Here is their email and tracking:

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 0D725E33-8DFC-44DB-B321-2EAA72C16ECB.jpeg
    0D725E33-8DFC-44DB-B321-2EAA72C16ECB.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 99
  • AD7C90B8-F4C3-4B0C-A06F-9319CDF804D7.jpeg
    AD7C90B8-F4C3-4B0C-A06F-9319CDF804D7.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 103

Nicolas_Poy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2021
Hi Maka, so you handled your iPhone to UPS and that collection was scheduled by Apple ?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
There seems to be a big problem with Apple UK issuing false and misleading information at the moment. They really need to look at their training program as informing customers that lost parcels organised by Apple are the customers responsibility is absolutely false!!

I wonder what trading standards would say?

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
There seems to be a big problem with Apple UK issuing false and misleading information at the moment. They really need to look at their training program as informing customers that lost parcels organised by Apple are the customers responsibility is absolutely false!!

I wonder what trading standards would say?
So, after an hour on the phone with an Agent, it appears that the above email was sent in error and an express refund has now been requested - UPS have admitted that it’s lost and for Apple to claim on the insurance policy. They’ve also given me a good Will gift (which I had to ask for) to apologise.

I wouldn’t have left it there and next steps would be to have raised a credit card dispute.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
So, after an hour on the phone with an Agent, it appears that the above email was sent in error and an express refund has now been requested - UPS have admitted that it’s lost and for Apple to claim on the insurance policy. They’ve also given my a good Will gift to apologise.

I wouldn’t have left it there and next steps would be to have raised a credit card dispute.
It’s good that you’re a person with something about you. It’s worrying that you’re the second person on here who has been given incorrect info and I dread to think how many across the country who have had the same response. There’s probably people right now chasing after couriers thinking it’s their responsibility and very stressed about it.

Glad you’ve got it sorted too.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
It’s good that you’re a person with something about you. It’s worrying that you’re the second person on here who has been given incorrect info and I dread to think how many across the country who have had the same response. There’s probably people right now chasing after couriers thinking it’s their responsibility and very stressed about it.

Glad you’ve got it sorted too.
Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

It is worrying how they are giving people the wrong information - you’re right, not everyone has the gumption to have chased this or even the means in some cases.

It’s not a great position really considering all Uk stores are closed and the only way is the online route at the moment.

Nicolas_Poy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2021
I almost gave up until you guys told me this had to be escalated.
And this is why I created this topic : if people across the UK or the US have the same issue, then they will know who to contact in order to solve their problem.

Glad everything is now solved for you Maka ! Life is already too stressful. No need to add more to it

Reactions: Stan.06 and maka344
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.