Returned iPod Touch, Apple hasn't send me my refund check. Now what?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rsximus, Mar 22, 2008.

1. rsximus macrumors newbie

Hi fellas, new here with question.

About a month ago I purchased an iPod touch 8gb, I used it for about 2 days and it was awesome but I needed more storage space. Found out Costco was selling a 16gb for a little bit more than I paid for my 8gb at my local apple store.

I returned my 8gb iPod touch to the apple store, they charged me a 10 percent restocking fee which was fine with me. I paid cash for it, so they said they would have to mail me a refund check 7-10 business days since it was over $250.

Well almost a month later here and no check. I called the apple store which I bought it from and the guy asked me if I had my return receipt, well the receipt was in a pair of pants that went through the washer already. :mad:

So I had no return receipt, the guy on the phone basically said sorry man. Can't help you without that. I asked if he could look up my return information on the computer, it should be there right? He said nope he can't since I paid cash. What the heck, but they entered all my information, name, address, phone number ect. when they were processing the return. Am I really out $300?!? The guy at apple sounded pretty busy since its a Saturday so maybe he didn't wanna take the time to help me? I'm really frustrated right now, what other steps can I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

How far are you away from the Apple Store? I would go there, etc. A receipt is manditory., but I would be calm and tell them at the Apple store, when yoo returned the iPod Touch, etc. good luck.

3. f1 macrumors 6502

Do you still have the original sales receipt? did they email you one? You can use the original sales receipt and get the serial number of the iPod, or if you have that filed somewhere else in your records the apple store can look up the receipt for you with the serial number.

4. rsximus thread starter macrumors newbie

No I don't have the original receipt anymore, when I returned the iPod I gave the the guy the original receipt, he scanned it, did the refund process and handed me a new receipt. Which went through the washing machine. :(

I would think Apple stores the information in their computers right? The nearest Apple store is about a 35 minute drive from me.

5. f1 macrumors 6502

As a former Apple Retail employee these are the only ways to look up a receipt

Methods that work for sure:
    -Credit Card/Debit Card Number
    -Serial number of product
    -Transaction Number (Obviously)

Methods that may work but rarely do
    -Zip Code
    -First name and Last name

There are other ways, however, it would take them forever to find the reciept meaning they won't do it for you because itz not practical and theres no way to prove for SURE that its your receipt.

6. rsximus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply F1, is it unheard of for a refund check from apple to take a month to get here? Whats the latest realistic amount of time it would take for a check to arrive would you know?

7. f1 macrumors 6502

well we quote 7-10 days

The store i worked for didn't follow that rule so i can't give you real life experience, we would always give full cash refunds if we had the cash on hand or we would issue a refund to a debit card.

8. rsximus thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'm gonna go in on Monday and ask if they can help me find my transaction. If not I guess I'm screwed out of $300. I can't believe it. =(

9. biosci macrumors 6502a

I'm actually in the same scenario as you except 1) I only have been waiting for 2 weeks, 2) it's a returned iPad so more $$$, and 3) just called Apple store (local) and they said it's 4-6 weeks!

What I want to know is if I'll be getting interest with that!

10. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Thinking you SOL with out the slip. Cash gives no real record of the transaction.

Use credit or debit next time.