Returned iPT, here is thoughts

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by clevin, Oct 6, 2007.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

ok, first let me explain my situation, so don't jump on me and tell me "its only supposed to be an iPod"

There are several gadgets I need to/want to replace:

My cellphone/FM radio is broken, I need to replace it
    My Palm T|X PDA is still good, but I want a modern PDA to replace it.

So, my intention is to replace my T|X with iPT+future hacks.

Now, let me categorize my problems with iPT into 3 types: deal breaker, unfixable inconveniences; fixable inconveniences.

deal breaker, simply necessary, and I see no hacks can change it.

1. functionality, its purely not possible to do all I need to do on iPT.

for example I need to edit office documents, word and excel, or look up a word in dictionary, etc.

2. non-expandable capacity, I don't listen to music alot, but I do have a lot of podcast, which probably take more space through time(2.5G for now). and iPT won't be able to handle it.

unfixable inconveniences, These are not deal breaker, I can tolerate it, but there is probably no way of fixing them

1. ease of use. I need many more taps to finish the task that can be done easily on T|X. I can not access the menus of the apps when using them, instead, I have to go all the way back to home screen and tap settings.

2. battery life is poor, my T|X can only support 2hrs of internet surfing, that was one of my original reason to try iPT out, unfortunately, iPT's battery isn't that great neither.

3. input method is limited, on T|X, I have graffiti or keyboard, I can write on any part of the screen, which is very nice when editing office document. with myKBD, I can input 3, 4, 5, 6 letters in 1 sec. iPT is not great for input, also, before I use it, I never realize how painful it is with no select/copy/paste

fixable inconveniences: they are annoying, and I think apple can fix them through software update, tho Im not sure if apple would like to do it

1. safari crashes, much more often than blazer on my T|X.

2. safari does not download anything, I understand this involves other problem, like file manager, etc. but I still want it

3. music play auto starts, stops, definitely bugs

4. tightly bundle with iTunes/Computer, essentially, I can't enjoy this thing without a computer with iTunes. I would much prefer a free device that I don't need iTunes to use it.

5. System is not stable, I have twice encountered gray screen, black screen that needs restart, restore.

6. limited way of turning on/off device, I was just wondering what if the home button/power button were to break? I know I should put more confidence in apple, but with bad QC, I want to have more options.

7. shrinking of pics, I have my train/bus schedules saved on my PDA as pictures, but when moving them to iPT, they got reduced to a much lower res, so I can't read any info on it anymore. I know there is a workaround (transforming the pics into data of URL, and accessing it on iPT through synced bookmarks), it just so not convenience for me.

8. no functional calendars, note taking, map apps.

9. Scroll bar design, no scroll bar in safari, sure it feels pretty doing dragging, but way to slow to reach the place I wanna see.

Basically, its just that iPT is such a limited product, it virtually has no chance of meeting my need such that I need to carry more devices than I want to. Also I have big problem with apple's attitude towards 3rd party native apps.

Oh well, I just want to put these stuff down, I might forget these details in 2 days anyway.

I don't object users who just use it as a simple iPod, thats fine, we all have different idea of what this device is or "should be". I just see no hope of it being a good PDA in anyway in near future.

I will keep paying attention to apple's next try, may that be a version 2 of iPT or a iPDA.

2. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

It's only supposed to be an iPod.
    lol, just kiding.

I understand your frustrations. I have an x50v PDA from Dell that I'm replacing with the touch. Safari has not once crashed on me and using the internet is much, much more enjoyable with the touch. It's 1000x better.

If you're not happy with it, then I guess it's just not for you. You should get a treo if you want to replace your palm. At least you tried it and you know it's not for you .Good luck in your search for the perfect device.

3. EvanAgee macrumors member

EvanAgee

Sounds like you bought the wrong device for what you needed, returned it, and now you're pointing out all of the things it won't do (and was never advertised as being capable of) that were deal-breakers. Didn't you know it wouldn't do those things before you purchased it?

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Glad you could return it etc etc.

However, you bought the iPT knowing what it's capabilities are therefore it is not lacking in functionalty when it clearly isn't supposed to do the things you think it should do. I believe Apple sells a product that supports some of your needs, but the iPT isn't it.

To your points.
    1: You knew this wouldn't work. There are no claims that it can. Although, looking a word up in a dictionary seems like it should be a function. It's there in OS X and so simple to do on the iPT.
    2. Seriously? You bought the iPT that didn't have expandable capcity? Again, another feature you knew did not exist.
    I think I get what you're saying but yeah, it sounds like the menu system can improve. Again, something that maybe you could have experimented with in store before you bought. That is if you have a store nearby.

Well, we kind of all know this. Sounds like T|X is what you want.

Is it fair to compare an iPod to a T|X? I doubt it. I think the iPod Touch is meant to be an iPod, but I could be wrong there.

To the rest of your points under fixable inconveniences"
    1. Safari crashes, yes fixable, sucks, but this is a Rev A product and bound to have problems. With another reference to the T|X it sounds like you need to just use that.
    2. Safari doesn't download. Does it do it on the iPhone? Did you know this before you bought it?
    3. bugs in music play? Unacceptable really but hopefully fixed soon.
    4. umm you do know you are buying an Apple product right? You want free devices, the gigabit is a good idea for you then.
    5. Another new product, rev a, you're Apple's beta tester. Seems you've been here long enough to know this.
    6. How many ways do you need to turn something off? I get your point, but I'd be pissed if Apple started putting two power buttons on every device. I mean, in case of failure use the backup one? Seems silly.
    7. Sounds like you need to just learn that with new technology you may have to do things differently or go back to your obviously superior T|X.
    8. You knew this when you bought it. That was widely discussed.

I hope you find what you need. Another T|X seems like a clear winner here. But really, if the device you're going to buy doesn't do what you need based on the specs and documents provided by the manufacturer then what is the point in buying it? It's like the iPhone. Buy the iPhone for what it is not what you think it should be. The same now holds true for the iPT.

On the other hand, will the iPhone suit your needs at all?

5. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

lol, its hard, I thought I mostly use it for internet, but in 3 weeks, (I bought it twice from different stores, :D) I barely use it for more than 1 hr a day. Guess I didn't realize at that time, that internet is not all I need...

anyway, I don't have that much extra $$$ to excuse me from spending on a device I don't use that much....

You are right, for now, its not for me.... will see how it will get developed.

I might choose from a Palm Centro, a Neo 1973 or a Zune 2. will see how it goes.:)

EDIT, I see this post began to attract defenders, hey guys, i am not interested in arguing, I had an idea of what iPT is, Im sure many of you don't agree, thats fine.

6. Kenal0 macrumors regular

7. bartyboy macrumors newbie

I've also got to wonder why in the world would you buy one in the first place if you wanted most of those features. Didn't you read the product description? And then what good does it do to write up a long post with all your deal-breakers.

Are uou serious or is this just an elaborate troll?

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I hardly defend Apple or any company really. I am however being mindful and intelligent when I say that you should buy a product for what it is and not what you think it should be. If you do that then please don't be shocked when it doesn't perform as you would have hoped. If you find that I am defending the product then there's no discussion. You simply don't care to see another side. On the other hand, when you post in a public forum about your discontent with a product expect "defenders" and people with a bit less bias come out of the woodwork. It happens. It's like coming here and asking for medical advice. One in every 100 posts may have something good to offer, the rest are just speaking from assumption.

It is my assumption that you bought the device because it should do magical things for you. By magical I mean it should do more for you than the specs say it will. It didn't do it so you returned it. No harm no foul. I do have to admit one thing though. You'll know when we're arguing and right now, we're not. My guess is that we won't be later either. This isn't something people should argue about. But you get to post your thoughts, I get to post mine. If that means we're arguing then I apologize for having an opinion to your opinion on a site full of opinions.

On a side note, I have a blackberry and I don't think I can edit docs...or can I?

No way he's not a troll. People with 4200 posts are hardly ever considered trolls. I think it's clear from his signature that he considered the iPod Touch a PDA. It falls short of a PDA but the iPod Touch was never marketed as a PDA, it was marketed as a music player and with that it doesn't fall short but there are bugs. Early adopters are beta testers in the world of Apple. I learned that fast around here. ;)

9. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20