Returned it 3 times to get a decent one

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richxps, Aug 12, 2008.

1. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Just wanted to share my story. I returned two 3G iphones due to dead and stuck pixels. Yesterday i went for my third iphone and guess what, i finally got a flawless screen. The only issue is some slight light leakage which is no big deal.
    My quest for the perfect screen is over :)
    Now i can sleep easy at night.

By the way according to the apple rep that helped me, the pixel issues has been one of the biggest complaints with the 3G model

2. cantankerously macrumors regular

I would have returned mine too if it had dead pixels. I have some light leak as well on my phone, but it's not worth risking the return when everything else about the phone is perfect.

3. danielforman macrumors regular

I just received my 5th iPhone from O2-UK today and it has light leak, dust under the glass, rough edges, cracked casing near the headphone jack, loose sleep/wake button, bit of dust on camera lens. So after a chat with Apple Support I am now going to arrange an appointment at the Genius bar at the Apple store which is 2 hours from where I live. Hopefully then i will finally get it sorted.

But if you have light leak best to keep an eye for any dust getting under the glass. Usually you can see little white specks on the display when it is on but if you hold it up in direct light or under a lamp then you can see it better. Within 2 days of having one of the replacement iPhones that had a really really tiny bit of light leak it had got quite a bit of dust in. So worth checking as it should be sealed.

4. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

The 3G is starting to sound more and more of a disappointment as I stay on this forum lol. Maybe I should hold off.....

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Forums like this always exaggerate the problems that people have with an item. People with well-functioning phones probably wouldn't be as likely to post or even realize this forum is here. I think the majority of users are happy. 3 million iphones sold in a month and its to be expected there will be a corresponding surge in issues.

That being said, I'm taking mine to a genius tomorrow to see if they can get GPS working. :)

6. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Congrats on finally getting a good one :)

Mine has a light leak on it, but I only see it in low light situations so it's not much of a bother. Aside from that it's a great phone.

7. danielforman macrumors regular

I will admit my first gen iPhone was not perfect at the bezel was not entirely straight at the top but I managed to live with that but was a little disappointed with it.

My first iPhone 3G was ok except for a little rough edge but unfortunately the sleep/wake button became loose. But all the rest have had the same problem of dust and light leak although can't say for certain if the 2nd one did as I did not check it in the dark but it still had the dust issue.

I expect to be able to buy any mobile phone whether it be an iPhone or dirt cheap PAYG one for about £30 and not have problems like this. Granted the iPhone works ok and there are technical problems, it is squarely down to the quality to the casing. For the price you pay you expect it to be a bit better quality. None of the phones I have owned previously had defects. They were pretty much perfect. But I don't want any other phone I think the iPhone is brilliant and I want one virtually defect free

8. walkman macrumors member

ThunderBull4: If it makes you feel better my 3G has no dead pixels, light leak, dust under the glass or cracks in the case so far.

I miss Verizon's reliable network, but the phone is fine.

9. richxps thread starter macrumors 65816

richxps

Dont get me the wrong the 3G is a great phone, its much better than my first generation iphone but Apple really has to crack down on quality control. They use great parts but i think the people putting them together are just rushing the job to get as many as they can out the door and over looking the quality.
    With that said im very excited to have a mint LCD, light leakage i will deal with....

10. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

How do you return an iPhone when there are people still waiting in line for them?!

Or is this not the case anymore?

11. danielforman macrumors regular

Well in the UK, O2 have limited stock in stores but people are not queueing up for them as far as I know. Each time I have requested a replacement from O2 they have checked the stock levels and they have been able to send me one straight away.

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I hate to say it, but I had to return my iPhone 3G twice before I got one with no stuck pixels. So now I am finally happy with mine.

The Apple Stores have iPhones in plain boxes for people who need to exchange them who bought them from AT&T; and iPhones in the usual boxes for people who bought them from Apple.

13. cubedweller macrumors 6502

I purchased my iPhone 3G nearly 2 weeks ago and thought I could live with the dead (stuck) pixel -- I can't. It's right in the middle of the screen. There's no reason I should have to live with it when I'm shelling out this kind of cash.

I have an appointment with the Apple Store tomorrow -- do I need to bring the box and all the accessories? Or just the phone? I'm afraid of getting a refurbished (white boxed) iPhone -- I just bought it and I want it to be new (anyway I can guarantee this?)

Thanks for the help!

~E

14. purpleclad macrumors member

I'm currently on my 3rd as well. First one had light leak and dust under the screen. Took it back and the 2nd one they gave me had worse light leak than the first. Almost 1" of light coming thru on this one, you could literally see down inside the phone it was so bad. Finally, on my 3rd and (knock on wood) it seems perfect.

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

You should take everything with you: The box, the accessories that came in it, everything. The Genius will appreciate this.

The phones have only been out for a month now, so refurbs are probably still not being used as replacements. And you should only end up with a white box phone if you didn't buy your phone from Apple.

16. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I entered this thread worried that you were another obsessive compulsive fanboy who returned 2 phones for 1mm of light leak on the sides and then complains about the Genius being exasperated with them

but you had legit reasons to return yours, and now that you have the slightest problem that really isn't a problem at all, your just happy everything works and aren't wasting replacement units on stupid things

sir (or miss?), I commend you

17. richxps thread starter macrumors 65816

richxps

I seen the line at the apple store for the iphones. I walked right in the store and spoke to the manager and complained about the phone. She took my box and phone and brought me out a brand new one, had me open the box my self just like on first day...
    I asked about the phones in the white boxes, she claimed that they are replacement phones for people that are over 30 days with issues. I asked are they refurb and she said that she was not sure and she is just going by what apple wants them to do.

So if your getting a phone in a white box i would refuse it and get a brand new one if your within your 30 days....

But than again who knows if its all true, all i know is that i got to open a brand new 3g again and got a flawless screen.

18. richxps thread starter macrumors 65816

richxps