Returned lost iPhone using most recent exploit

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Camaro6700, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Camaro6700 macrumors member

I work on one of the biggest university campuses in the country and in a meeting yesterday I found an iPhone laying on the ground. Using the most recent exploit were you dial an emergency number, press dial and the power button you can get into the address book. I did do this with the only intention of finding the owner. It allowed me to see that the owners friend had called him recently, so I contacted him asking if he knew anyone who has lost phone and he did.

I do feel bad for using the exploit to get into the phone since it was locked for a reason, but I am glad that I can get the phone back to its owner. Did I do the wrong thing by getting into the phone?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No

(If you're still unsure, ask the owner this question when you return the phone. I think I know what the answer will be.)

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

If the lost phone was returned to the owner because of this exploit, then no you didn't do anything wrong.

4. RobMoss macrumors regular

Not at all. In fact, if I ever lose my iPhone, I hope you find it!

5. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

That was great news for the owner! Without that exploit, you would probably have to go to the AT&T store or Apple store and give it to them. The owner may have never gotten his phone back if you had to resort to this.

6. Camaro6700 thread starter macrumors member

When he picked it up he assumed that it was because his friend called while I had the phone, but that is not the case. The whole time I had the phone no one called it and thats why I decided to try getting into the call history.

A couple years ago I lost my iphone mountain biking and some hikers found it a couple days later. So I know how it feels to lose your phone and to be able to get it back.

7. Heavy Fluid macrumors 6502

Kudos for doing the right thing. I don't know if most people would have done the same thing. I have returned junker throw away phones and spent more than an hour trying to get a busted Boost phone back to its rightful owner.

You did the right thing.

8. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Kinda makes you think that if this exploit wasn't available, would you really have been able to get the phone back to the real owner

9. steste macrumors member

which is way i dont use passcode locks!

10. Camaro6700 thread starter macrumors member

That is what I was thinking. The other option I had was take it to lost and found, but I don't really know where that is on a campus and I didn't want it to sit in a draw for who knows how long.

11. weirdlilwoman macrumors member

Since you only used the action to get in touch with someone that could return the phone to it's rightful owner, and you did not save or collect any of the other info in the phone for some other purpose, I would say you did the right thing.

Well played, OP. Well played indeed.

12. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

You could have also contacted AT&T and read them the ICCID on the SIM. They could get in contact with the subscriber.

13. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

+1

there's so many honest people around. I've lost my iPhone 2G at a festival once, my brother left his phone on a train. We always managed to get them back by just calling / texting the phones.

If some douche steals my phone, it's definitely for selling it and not for using up my free minutes :/

14. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Yes, what you did was acceptable because of your intentions and the results.

So I'm sure the owner won't mind either.

But what surprises me is everyone's reaction to you doing the right thing by returning it.

Everyone is surprised that you did the right thing. Why? Why are we, as a whole, shocked that someone did the right thing by returning something that wasn't rightfully theirs to begin with?
    I find that a shame.

We should be surprised when something isn't returned. Maybe because our society is always looking for what we can get for free, no matter the method, and this is a byproduct of that greed.
    Makes me sad.

Either way, I'm glad you returned it.
    I'm not surprised that there are still honest and honorable people in the world. Just getting more rare to find.

15. molala macrumors 6502a

Well done. That is weird that the owner didn't try to ring his iPhone while you had it. I would have sent my phone text messages at least.

Agree with everyone that you did the right thing. If it were my iPhone, I'd be grateful that you got into my address book to return it to me.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

How dare you use an exploit to return someones iPhone. That's what Mobile Me find my iPhone is for. Apple should sue you. :p

17. trigga71 macrumors newbie

Yeah you did the right thing... BTW I tried it on my wife's 3GS with 3.1.3 (7E18) and it worked as well.

18. vant macrumors 65816

What is this? Primary school?

The look on the owners face should have been enough to cleanse your mind.

19. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

this is the reason i dont "lock" my phone... i believe it has a greater chance of being returned to me if someone can open its address book...

call me crazy... glass is half full approach...