Returned MacBook Pro "missing from box"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mymatebob, Jan 26, 2011.

1. mymatebob macrumors newbie

I returned a refurbished MBP to Apple UK a couple of days after receiving it. This was because after reading some forums, it seemed that buying AppleCare was recommended which pushed the overall cost of ownership outside my budget.

The MBP was collected from my office by TNT.

Apple UK have called today to ask whether I had forgotten to include the laptop in the box, as it only contained the disks and cables! I think the laptop must have been stolen from the box sometime while under the care of the courier. Apple said they will raise an investigation with TNT.

Has anyone had a similar experience? This seems like a very difficult situation as it could end up with the couriers word against mine.

Aarggh!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The package wasn't weighed before it was sent back? That would prove whether the MBP was inside at the time you returned it.

3. mymatebob thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple did mention that it would be weighed at some point during the delivery.. so fingers crossed...

4. 1458279 Suspended

Local news had a story on a UPS store. A customer boxed up a laptop and it was stolen, he went back and they brushed him off.
    He made a car alarm setup to go off if a box was opened, he went back and shipped the 'alarm box' and waited... they opened the box, he confronted them and they told him to get out of the store.

Local news confronted them (he had video taped the whole thing), the entire store staff was fired.

Basically nobody cares about property crime, police only focus on 'easy money for them' crimes. They actually care more about giving traffic tickets than tracking down a stolen car. One make them money, the other doesn't.

On something like this, apple should have a serial number, the MBP will not be very usable so it'll likely get parted out.

You could sue, as well as keep on the shipping company non-stop. Remember MANY companies will die if the public has a bad image of them.

That's exactly why almost ALL companies change their attitudes when the media gets involved.

Sorry to hear about your problems...

5. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

6. Mark Booth, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011

Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

Whenever I drop off a package at a UPS Store, even if it is a prepaid return, I ALWAYS insist on getting a receipt for having dropped off the package and always insist that the receipt shows the weight of the item. Basically, I make it very obvious to the UPS Store employees that accept my package that I am being extra careful that I don't get ripped off by them, or anyone else.

I've never had a problem with the item reaching its destination.

Mark

7. 1458279 Suspended

LOL, that's exactly the one! I don't know if the police got involved or not, but those slims should have gone to jail.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I couldn't find any reports of this. Have a link? The only thing I could find is that the store manager offered to talk to the customer about his concerns. No mention of any disciplinary action by UPS.

9. 1458279 Suspended

It was a follow up report, probably about a week later. I don't remember all the details, but I don't think UPS got involved. They should have if they didn't. With UPS's name on the business, they should have an active interest how business is done.