Returned MBP 15 2.6ghz, but now which one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Metalsam, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Metalsam macrumors newbie

Well the last MBP 15 2.66ghz i had only for 3 weeks and its was my first Mac computer ever, i was really happy with difference in use and productivity i had with my laptop.
    But when the new i5/i7. I started the return so i can buy the new one.
    So now i am stuck trying to decide which to buy from the 15inch i5 or the i7.
    Also considering glossy Hi-RES 1600x1050

This is what i did with the laptop for the short period it for.
    I am student so i did a lot of basic Hulu, Youtube HD, Itunes, watching movies, downloading movies. Skype.
    Played a lot of World of Warcraft raids at high setting. also when steam is available i will start using it. This is the reason for Hi-res option
    I had started many video editing project that i did for fun with a lot of home videos. i see myself doing this a lot more with an HD camera.

So i having been following the geekbench result and lots of review but still cant decide if i should get the i5 glossy hi-res 256 but the has i7 512 ram. So i really don't know which one to get, any suggestion? since i spent about 2090 for the last MBP C2D i want to stay under that budget if possible.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you liked the size of your old 15", the buy the new 15"; then if you want a high resolution display, go for it; otherwise the standard display is fine too. If you want the anti-glare, the high-resolution display is the only option you have.

3. Metalsam thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i will be getting the 15inch MBP but i am stuck at which one to go with should i go with the i5 or i7 for the extra memory and processor speed.

4. Metalsam thread starter macrumors newbie

5. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

If you can afford it, I'd tend to recommend the i7/512MB vram system as being better. That said, I also recommend matte, not glossy, so I'm pretty much an outlier. :)

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

IF you want to save a bit of money, and what you describe is really what you need the computer, I'd think the i5 2.4GHz base model is enough; if you want more performance that you may not use (but want it anyways), consider the i7 2.66GHz; personally I'd forget about the i5 2.53GHz because it's a bad compromise—not really faster than the 2.4GHz model, but not as fast as the top end. At least the jump from the i5 2.4GHz to i7 2.66GHz has a performance difference that justifies the price difference.

7. Metalsam thread starter macrumors newbie

will there be any difference in World of warcraft fps from the i7 to i5 in hi-res?
    Has anyone played Wow in Hi-res on the i5 or i7?

8. rodrigo7 macrumors newbie

I believe that if you pick the high-res display the 512mb vram on the i7 might make a difference but nothing THAT noticeable I believe.
    If you want to save some money the i5 2.4 would do more than great for you. Like other said, just don't waste with the 2.53.
    I kinda use my computer for the same things you do and am also looking for a new mac. This is what I pretty much reasoned so far. Be aware that the i7 is more a marketing thing than a real difference in performance.