Returned/repurchased iPhone 4 *updated*

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fernandez21, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Well, this afternoon I returned my old iPhone and repurchased a new one, and the new one so far isn't having the same issues as my old one. With my previous iPhone I could get the reception to completely drop to no service by putting just my finger on the left seam. No data or voice service. No with this new one I can't get it to drop signal at all. I have even done speed tests, and there is no difference in speeds with or without my finger or palm covering the seam. I've done this in a couple different locations, some with good coverage and others without. The true test will be once I get home, but so far this one is MUCH better than my previous phone. I will let you know what I find when I get home in a couple of hours.

Hardware wise I'm not noticing much of a difference other than some things which I atribute to manufacturing. They are:
    No rattle when I tap the top
    Home button doesn't wiggle
    The seam on the left is now flush, my other one you could feel a smal bump
    Black bezel around the glass isn't flush, there is a small bump al around the outside of the glass

Version 4.0 (8A293)
    Carrier AT&T 7.0
    Model. MC319LL
    Serial. 870281

2. gl4662 macrumors member

If youre a customer with the signal dropping issue are they letting those customers return their phones? and repurchasing?

Thanks.

3. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

Seems like most of the people who claim they have revised phone are posting week 28 serial numbers.

4. bushbaby macrumors 6502a

bushbaby

How did it come to be that you returned and repurchased, instead of just getting a replacement phone? Did you buy from apple.com originally? Did you make your arrangements on the phone first or just walk in the store?

5. Fernandez21 thread starter macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I had previously gone tithe genius bar 3 times and each rime they refused to replace it. Finally the last time I was there, the guy saw how frustrated I was and told me the only way was to return and repurchase. He went ahead and put my name on the priority list. Today my phone came, so I went in with my old phone and box and receipt and swapped it out for a new one. I also reset my 30 day return window, but if the issue is truly gone with this one I will not be returning it. I'm still waiting until I get home before I can proclaim that it isn't an issue any more.

6. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

My serial # is 87023. Does that mean week 23? I haven't dropped any calls all seems OK.

This is my second iPhone.

The battery was dropping 50% overnight while powered off. The Genius Bar hooked it up to their diagnostic computer which said my battery was good. Luckily, I ramble and while I was rambling, the Genius noticed that battery life was dropping while I was talking. He contacted his manager who authorized a replacement. Brand new from box and it had almost a full charge whereas my first had a dead battery from the start (Launch Day :().

BTW My first was purchased on Launch Day (the 15th) and my replacement, which was from a brand new retail box (a complete exchange was performed), was on th 27th. So...is my 30 days up on the 15th or the 27th? Not like I'm going to return it...I love this phone!:D

7. D3lta macrumors 6502a

Did you buy the phone for the no-commitment pricing?

8. Fernandez21 thread starter macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Well, i just got a little while ago and started doing some "tests". The reception issue isn't gone, but it is MUCH better. Before just touching the left seam would cause my phone to go to searching mode, with the new one putting my finger there does nothing. However if I cup it with my palm and really grip it, reception still goes down to zero, however it does take a while longer than my previous one. So while its not completely gone, its enough of an improvement to where I don't think it'll effect me and the way I use my phone, as I really have to grip it and try to force the signal to go down before it actually does.

I also made a test call with this grip, call lasted two minutes before it dropped and if I hold it normally it doesn't drop at all. Overall, i'm pleased with the new phone and feel I don't have to worry about the reception problems at all, however that doesn't excuse apple, for I had 3 genious apointments and all three refused to acknowledge my phone had a problem, when clearly after using this new one, it did. I hope any of you out there with this same problem can get it resolved as well.

Also, this was an upgrade purchase, $299. And for the other poster, if they did a warranty swap, then its 30 days from your original purchase.