Returned rMB, then had returner's remorse, got it again. :)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by carrerascott, May 2, 2015.

1. carrerascott macrumors regular

Got a 1.2/512/SG from Best Buy with 10% off, tried it for a few days and thought it was a bit pricey, returned it. Tried new MB Air, tried new retina MPro 13". Then had serious returner's remorse. Those things felt like tanks after the rMB. Thankfully it was still at the BB I returned it to, and I got it back today!

After thinking about it, the 8/512 rMB has retina for $1599 (I got $160 discount through BB, so got it for $1439).

An 11" MB Air doesn't have retina, and spec'ed at 8/512 would cost $1499

A 13" MB Air doesn't have retina, and spec'ed at 8/512 would cost $1599

So, the rMB is a bit slower, but the Retina screen is a huge upgrade, and decided it's for me after all. And the price really isn't bad when you consider Apple's other offering spec'd similarly.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I will very much agree, as would most, once you go retina it is hard to go back.

3. carrerascott thread starter macrumors regular

Yup. And the Pro is beautiful but feels like a ton of bricks after the rMB.

4. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I also feel the same, once I got my RMB, it wasn't the same anymore for me. Looking back at the other MacBook's, they just couldn't compare anymore. I'm loving mines and extremely happy with it. :)

5. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

So did you get the "open box" price on it? Thats a rather good idea if you want to save like $150 :)

6. carrerascott thread starter macrumors regular

I already saved 10% on it ($160), and you can't use that 10% with open box -- so they "let me" buy it again for the original price. The open box price was actually going to be higher than I paid for it initially.

7. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I love the american market. You can easily buy stuff and return, even if you wear it a little bit. Then this makes a big refurbished market feasible.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

not gonna lie, I have not bought anything over $200 at best buy w/o using those movers coupons.

9. carrerascott thread starter macrumors regular

Wouldn't make sense to. Pretty nice to get a 10% discount on a brand new Apple product that's somewhat backlogged from Apple itself...

10. Rotatores macrumors newbie

After going rMB...my 15" rMBP keyboard feels archaic.

11. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

Yeah, I had the same experience: I purchased a retina MacBook 1.2/512, a current-gen 13" retina MacBook Pro, and I have a 2013 MBA. After getting used the to the rMB these last few days, it was impossible for me to go to the brick-feel of the MBP, and the inferior quality of the MBA screen.

I'm guess I'm now spoiled by this rMB!

12. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

13. doboy, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015

doboy macrumors 68000

Actually they let you use 10% off coupon on open box items, but YMMV.

14. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

And you guys/girls are ok with the screen size drop?

15. Rhcpcjg macrumors regular

I own a retina macbook pro 15' as my primary computer, 80% of the time is hooked up to a TB display, I bought the rMB as a secondary computer to take around my businesses, work on some spreadsheets when im out and about, connect remotely to work computers etc. I don't really mind the screen size, I actually like it much better than the 13' air, Retina displays are amazing and its hard to go back to a non retina, and battery life is not bad.

16. zyoung86 macrumors newbie

To the OP: did you get it online or in store? I'm thinking of using a coupon for the online purchase but it's listing a 4-7 week backorder time at the moment.

If it was instore: do they actually have them in stock right now or did you get there super early? what's the price with tax + coupon?

17. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I've been bouncing back and forth between the Air, 13" rMBP and iPad/BTKB combo for years, and knew within the 1st day that the nMB was right in my 'Goldilocks zone'.

No intention of going back to one of these other models.

18. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I walked into my local store and they had 4 in stock. 2 base and 2 1.2/512. They don't show as in stock online b.c the quantities are so limited.

19. carrerascott thread starter macrumors regular

I ordered online last week when they had stock. I think the only in stock configure online now is the silver 1.1/256

20. KPOM macrumors G5

I was a fan of the 11.6" MBA. Then I got a 13" rMBP. Talk about being torn! In the end, I decided the Retina Display was worth it. Now that I can get a Retina Display in a Mac the size of the 11.6" none of the other compromises matter. This is as close to perfect as it gets right now.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're in the market for a MacBook Air, then the rMB makes too sense imo. Especially given the gorgeous screen, what the MBA has that the rMB doesn't is ports and better battery.