Returned rMBP's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MXChick23, Sep 12, 2012.

1. MXChick23 macrumors newbie

Silly question...

Returned my rMBP tonight because I wanted the 16G of ram upgrade... While at the store, another customer informed me that when they do custom builds Apple uses previously returned rMBP's. Your chance of getting a bad screen is much higher with custom builds vs the standard configurations right out of the box...

On the drive home, it actually got me thinking... Is this accurate? I don't see refurbs available yet, and just from Macrumors customers there must be 100's of them with LG Screens that have been returned... Opinions?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not true. All BTOs are shipped directly from China. Apple doesn't resell returned items as new.

3. terraphantm macrumors 68040

That would be illegal and get Apple a lot of flak if it were true (and discovered).

4. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Yes, always trust a random customer. :rolleyes:

5. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

would they build them at the store?! And besides that can't you just get 2 versions only ? 8 gb Ram and 16 gb Ram? for the way it's built there isn't anything you can customize right?

6. jedolley macrumors 68000

There are only 2 choices for RAM, but you also have 3 choices for CPU and 3 choices for SSD. As previously stated they are not built at the store... They are assembled in China and shipped directly from there.

7. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

so they would have to send back to China the faulty units to be fixed, customized and sent back to the Apple stores in US...

If they do that, it's not right at all

8. jedolley macrumors 68000

They do that, but those are sold as refurbs (but I don't think they change the specs when they sell them as refurbs).

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Repairs are done in the US, but the initial builds of new models is done in Shanghai.

10. MXChick23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dunno... these forums are random customers... It didn't make sense to me, but it did spark the "hmmmfff.... I wonder if he is right"

The way the genius bar explained the upgrade to me is this way; when you customize the rMBP's, they are actually customized at their service center. It is the reason that you can not buy anything in the store except the standard configurations. The store didn't even have a SKU or way to process the request, it had to be ordered online.

----------

I just looked.. Still don't see refurbs available on apple.com. Not sure where they would be selling the refurb units...

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Except in this forum, if someone gives you false information, there are other members who will correct it, as we're doing here.
    That's not true, either. All BTO models are ordered only online, built in China and shipped directly to the customer. They do not come from the US or any service center.
    The retina models have not yet arrived at the refurb store.

12. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

The returned Retina machines could be repackaged as new and sold in some country with even less consumer oversight than the USA.

13. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Sometimes, a stranger is the ONLY person you can trust :eek:

14. trikky macrumors regular

Silly question, why would you pay a kazillion dollars for extra RAM from Apple when you can get it so much cheaper elsewhere?

15. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Because the rMBP's memory is soldered on...

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Because you can't upgrade RAM in the rMBP. It's soldered in. Haven't you been paying attention?

17. MXChick23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply's.

After reading more threads, I called apple again today to switch my rMBP up again... Decided to go with the 2.6 vs the 2.3... With the 16G Ram and the 2.6, hopefully this will keep me good to go for the next couple years.

18. Idefix macrumors 6502

Not gonna happen. It would be discovered soon enough and there's no way that Apple would allow their reputation to suffer.

19. markp99 macrumors member

You know, there are SSD upgrades too... Maybe you can call again to get the 512GB version, w/16GB, w/2.6 :D

20. trikky macrumors regular

Apparently not. Haven't been reading the threads or specs on the Retina Macs. Sorry I'm not a spec savant.

21. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Apple inspect all returns and if they are "within spec" they will be resold as new.

Custom built machines usually get sold as refurbished models though.

22. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

High Five to Apple

I have to commend Apple for allowing customers to return a computer merely because the customer is not satisfied with the amount of ram. I originally purchased a rMBP with 8 gbs of ram. But, I really wanted the 16. Anyway, I took it back and Apple allowed me to trade up. :)

23. MXChick23 thread starter macrumors newbie

HAHA I think I am done... With a TB of music and another with movies, I will need external drives no matter what...

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is false. Apple does not sell returned items as new.
    Both standard models and BTO models appear in the refurb store.

25. markp99 macrumors member

Yes, in same boat here. USB 3.0 externals all the way!