All iPads returned rMini, received a perfect Air (:

Discussion in 'iPad' started by everydayCARD, Nov 19, 2013.

1. everydayCARD macrumors member

I returned my iPad rMini after swapping them out a couple of times at the Apple store (dead pixels, dust particle under screen, etc). I realized that the rMini really had screen issues, so decided to buy the iPad Air instead.

So I went out today to purchase an iPad Air from a seller on craigslist and was really worried as I have read multiple threads that said getting a perfect screen is like winning a lottery. But what do you know? I received a perfect screen for my iPad Air. The serial number for my iPad Air starts with DMPLL, so I guess trying to connect the serial number with screen quality doesn't work. (There are numerous posts saying that people had horrible screen with ones that started with DMPL)

I am in love with my iPad Air and just wanted to let people know that there actually are screen issues with some iPads, especially rMinis. Its not people just being OCD with their products. Anyways, good luck everyone on getting a good screen!

:)

2. JGWolven macrumors regular

Very nice. Congrats. No itch to go back to the mini yet?

3. everydayCARD thread starter macrumors member

No.

No, none at all. rMini was a nightmare for me.
    Loving the air!

4. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised that you found it worthwhile to buy it from craigslist rather than from the Apple store given the iPad air has only been out for a few weeks. What kind of bargain did you find?

5. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

I also was lucky with my iPad air perfect screen the first time, maybe it Karma from the yellow screens on my MBP in 2007:)

6. everydayCARD thread starter macrumors member

Well, I was able to buy a iPad Air 16gb LTE for $560, so I think i got a pretty good deal on it :)

Interestingly there are quite a bit of people who are selling new ipad airs for around $450-480 on craigslist. Judging by the fact that they have more than one for sale, they seem like legit sellers, but i dont know where their stock is coming from and how they are making profit from it.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes you do. You'd have to know something is fishy when someone is selling a brand new-just released product that retails for $629+ tax for $560 out the door. Surely you know exactly how this happens. Apple does not give volume discounts to legit resellers (which you did not deal with) that would make up for that significant of a discount.

Just sayin'.

Now, the iPad retina Mini is a beautiful device. It is certainly everything I could have hoped the 1st mini would have been. The iPad Air is remarkable. I have (albeit broken) iPad 3 and the size alone of the Air is reason to upgrade. I never really moaned about the weight of the iPad 1 or 3 (which I owned both) but when I used the Air I was impressed.

8. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

You must be in your early 20's or a teen. Your smiley is going the wrong way. :)

:) <---- Abomination!

9. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

More RAM would have automatically corrected that smilie.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Nice deal, not to mention the approx $40 in tax you saved.

11. citivolus macrumors 6502a

Considering the device is cellular, wouldn't Apple simply mark the device as stolen (assuming that was the case) and prevent it from being used?

12. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

it's craigslist!!!! every deal is great and so easy!!!

nothing is ever stolen that is sold on there ;)

----------

some people aren't gonna go through that trouble. heck just contacting AT&T to make any kind of change on my account is terrible long process.

13. WashupDawg macrumors regular

Seems like the quality control for the Retina Mini has gone down the drain.

I'm tempted to just wait until 2014 to see if Apple will get their act together...

14. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

just a bunch of complainers. same thing happened when the Air came out. now that has died down and people are complaining about the new mini. it's a never ending cycle.

15. caodapengtj macrumors member

Good for you!
    I am in the opposite position. I cycled through 4 iPad Airs, all with severe yellow tint on the left side, one also had stretch on the back. One must dropped it during handling. I totally gave up on iPad Airs and picked up a rMini. Guess what, the screen is perfect.

I suppose the lesson here is, there are good Airs and rMinis, one just need to keep trying. And don't settle on something not perfect, you will regret not trying one more time. :D

16. daxr1der macrumors newbie

Me i have 2 ipad mini retina and its the same problem, with black background, yellow lights leak... Foxconn made in taiwan...

17. everydayCARD thread starter macrumors member

Hmm..

Well, that's was precisely why I was afraid to purchase from a sketchy seller. Thankfully, after having a conversation with the seller, he was "less sketchy" than some of the other sellers. His original price was $600, but I was able to negotiate with him and bring the price down to $560.

All in all, it could have been a sketchy experience, but the two guys that came for the trade seemed to be educated people, who just wanted to sell the iPad quickly in order to purchase an iPad Air with more gigs.

I activated the iPad Air on T-mobile, and am loving it so far!

----------

Sorry for the :)
    I just don't like the way the smiley changes into an emoticon when you put the smiley in the right direction :(

18. rritterson macrumors 6502

When products get lost in the mail, they all end up in a central warehouse and sold in bulk lots. When the item had insurance and USPS pays out, they resell the item almost immediately to recoup the cost. The liquidator bundles them into big lots of Apple products. Friends of mine and I got together and tried to raise enough capital to buy one of the lots and resell it, but people were willing to pay more than we were.

Anyway, we saw many lots of just-released apple products. This makes sense as a massive number of them go through the system at release, and some are going to get lost, paid out on, and recovered quickly. So there is at least one legitimate way to get NIB iPads at a discount. (but you have to buy 50-100 of them at once!)

19. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I was thinking that too. I'm not sure why there's this rumor that finding a good display is like winning the lottery. I think people spend too much time in forums reading about problems and these are a ver small percentage of users. I for sure would have gone new rather than Craig's List.

20. everydayCARD thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately.

One thing about playing the lottery for the perfect screen is that you do not know whether the one that you are about to get would be better in screen quality than the one you are returning.

Customers really shouldn't have to go through the lottery to get what they paid for.

21. everydayCARD thread starter macrumors member

Well, that's exactly what I was trying to disprove. Even before I was aware of the screen issues with the rMini, I was able to spot out dead pixels, yellowing screen, etc. When I was able to finally get one without dead pixels, dust particles under the screen, etc. it had a terrible yellow tint on the bottom of the screen.

I know that some people are intentionally trying to find faults with their ipads, but that clearly wasn't the case for me. When I had to go through a couple of rMinis to get one that didn't have any faults, I HAD to check for defects as I knew that rMinis had many display issues.

Attached Files:

22. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

Not to mention the fact that many people appear to have a profound misunderstanding of the relative odds of winning the lottery:p

23. caodapengtj macrumors member

Exactly. Customers shouldn't have to do this. But if enough customers go through multiple iPads to get the ones with acceptable screens, that will force Apple to keep up the screen quality. Hopefully we won't need to do this again for the next iPad refresh. :eek:

24. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I don't have an rMini but I do have an air. Love it. The screen is crisp, bright white.

The biggest thing for me with Apple and their screens, has to be the constant issue with washed out, dirty, yellow screens that keep coming back year after year. People are always like, just deal with it or stop being picky. It's not being picky, it's just disgusting looking at a screen like that all day. The washed out colors are horrible and the whites are not white, they are a nasty off white yellow crap. Even some screens have a mix of both. It's terrible. I understand there might be SOME duds here and there but having 1 good phone out of 4 so far for me is not a good percentage on any level.

Again, this is the one big gripe I have with Apple.