Returned White Iphone4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by infam0uz, May 2, 2011.

1. infam0uz macrumors regular

infam0uz

Im sure some of you may remember seeing my post about my iphone having a different tint screen or somthing like that.

First of all before i get started, i would like to mention theres no APPLE store around me to get this done right away - the closest one is 3 hours away from me so i didnt want to bother with it and decided to deal with att.

I took it in today and told them the problem and told them the screen somewhat appeared warmer colored looking and explained that some others had this same issue and some had the "Cool Blue" Screen, Like my 3GS, and we all compared it with the workers at att iphones and they all seemed normal but mine wasnt with that warmish color setting and mentioned that it was defective then they suggested i should call apple for an replacement and was told id get a refurbished phone and i complained at att that i wouldnt want to get an refurbished phone since this phone was a few days old and no point getting a refurbished phone right away and we agreed to get a new one when they get some more shipment in, they were out of them and i was given a full refund and my upgrade fee back to normal to the old previous i had before i upgraded. So Looks like ill be getting another Iphone4 in white soon whenever they get some more in and start the upgrade again.

How about you guys, did ya'll do the same thing with the black iphones before.. or its mostly noticed on the white one..?

heres a pic of the problem i had..

[​IMG]

2. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

The warmish color is not at all a defect. There is quite a large thread around here explaining the differences between the two screens, but I know how you feel about it. My significant others black iPhone 4 had the blue tint and mine always had the yellow tint; and I liked the blue tint better. My white iPhone 4 came with a blue tinted screen, so that made me happy.

There really is no way to "get" a certain tinted screen, it is whatever is in the box when you receive the phone. If you buy another white one with the yellow tinted screen, you can try to get a refurb one at that point, but as it is not defective you may be stuck. I wish you luck.

Sorry if this wasn't helpful at all! Just letting you know!

3. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

You will not get a less warmer screen...

All of the white iPhones are now shipping with warmer screens, sorry to say but you'll not be pleased yet again with the new iPhone you'll receive :(

All of the white iPhone displays I've seen have the warmer displays

4. infam0uz thread starter macrumors regular

infam0uz

Hmm, if this is true. but its funny when the employee had a white iphone and we compared his with mine and his was cool blue and mine was warmer.. so some white ones comes with these different color.. but lets wait and see what i get in the next shipment.

5. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

The 3GS has a completely different display than the 4, so of course they will be different.

Honestly I never noticed the "warmer" color of my iPhone 4 until I compared it side-by-side with a friend's iPod 3G. I did prefer the cooler color when comparing them, but then when looking at my phone by itself, it looks perfectly fine (not to mention 100x better than that pixelated display).

Bottom line: Your phone was not defective.

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

i've said this before, and i'll say it again.

your eyes will adjust to the screen. you won't notice it after a few days.

i took a look at my screen a few days ago (launch) and it's yellow tinted. i always thought that it was blue tinted, or "regular" as you people describe it.

7. Dubthedankest macrumors regular

This is the same conclusion I've come to as well: I believe all white iPhones ship with the warmer screen.

I took my black iPhone 4 and my white iPhone 4 and compared the displays to all the display units in my Apple store (with the brightness jacked up to 100% like the in-store units) and they all looked pretty much identical. But dial the brightness back on the black GSM units and the displays are bluish, while the black Verizons seem to be reddish and the whites are yellowish.

8. infam0uz thread starter macrumors regular

infam0uz

After reading all of this.. makes me wish i shoulda have kept the phone. Theres another att store about 1 hour away from me that has some in stock..

im debating if i should just go ahead for that method or wait until they get some more shipment here.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I like the color of the screen on the iphone on the right:)

10. samven582 macrumors 6502a

The warmish color at that degree is definitly a defect. Here are some pics to prove it
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

Did you try comparing brightness settings? Maybe play around with it until it matches as close as possible?

12. scelzifan macrumors 6502

I have a black and white one and this screen thing is getting on my nerves. I have compared them several times and to be honest, the white one has a better screen of my two. I will post a picture later to show you but the only difference is the phone's color. That can make the screen look several different ways and of course a white phone will look to have a brighter or less readable screen. Turn the damn brightness down like normal.

13. samven582 macrumors 6502a

Those aren't my phones. I found those pics on a Chinese forum

14. wxman2003 Suspended

The yellow tint is much closer to true white than the blue tinted screen. Play a movie on your yellow tinted screen and you will find the color to be more accurate. In fact the color temperature on the yellow tinted screen is probably much closer 6500 k than the blue tinted screen. The blue tinted screen is the defective one.

15. jgdemeris macrumors newbie

Just curious...if the white iphone4 would have come out first, and a year later you got the black iphone4, would you have returned the black one due to the fact the screen looked different on the black one?

16. samven582 macrumors 6502a

How do you know color temperature on the yellow tinted screen is closer to 6500k? From the looks of it I believe it is below it. Having owed a yellow tinted iPhone 4, whites have a yellowish tint and blues are more of a turquoise color.

17. flyboy0 macrumors newbie

Omg

Everyone, relax!!!!! You people are being way too critical. Next thing is you're gonna want it to become an atm. Geez. Tint of the screen?! Who gives a crap.

18. Dubthedankest, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011

Dubthedankest macrumors regular

For a $700 device, I'm not too happy about it. Looks like someone peed in my phone, or one of those crap Android phones that turns the display yellow in "battery saving mode."

And wanting a phone to become an ATM? That's just ridiculous. Come on now, we have the Fed for that...

Nah, cause the black unit's display is brighter... and looks more accurate to me. Whiter whites.

"Whereas the old iPhone 4 [GSM, but in this case BLACK] was reasonably close to 6500K, the panel in our Verizon [in this case WHITE] iPhone 4 review unit is at 7120K." - http://www.anandtech.com/show/4163/verizon-iphone-4-review/6

19. infam0uz thread starter macrumors regular

infam0uz

They had some more in today so i got another one today - it looks a little better than the previous one i had, but still warmer colored looking, but like the rest of you saying it comes with a warmer color.. so i'll stick to this plan.

I'll post pics of them again later when i got the time.

We went thru 2 different phones, the first one today was kinda warmer, then he went to get another one and the 2nd set looked a little better so we decided to stick with that one instead. so lets hope all works out from there.

20. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

The pictures did nothing to "prove" it's a defect. It's been known since the iPhone 4 first launched that Apple uses two different screen manufacturers for the iPhone 4, and one is a cooler, blu-ish tint, and one is yellow. I have seen two defective screens, and the screen in the images you provided are very mild, and the OPs screen was just yellow tinted.

21. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

22. KHC831 macrumors member

actually, it's only 4x better

23. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Funny. iPhone owners are prolly some of the most anal people there are. I bet Apple has more returns than most companies due to people expecting perfection. Granted it's a premium brand so it's not like it's unjustified.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Tell me about it.
    There's people that get like a dozen iphone replacements and still not happy....

25. Tavio macrumors newbie

It's not the customer's fault to be lead to believe Apple products are flawless, they market their products as being the "perfect" device. They have done so for many years, practically since the beginning. It hasn't been until recently that their QA has suffered quite a bit. When Apple advertises a "flawless" and "perfect" retina display, and that matches what's on display at their retail stores, that is what's expected on the end retail product, not some yellow-tinted or horribly blacklight bleeding display.

In regards to the color tint problems, Apple should just have a strict standard and have it apply across all their manufacturers, as I know they depend on quite a few to meet the demand. In addition, the backlight problems on their latest products is inexcusable. That's just sloppy work.