Returning 15 inch i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JGuez, Apr 28, 2010.

1. JGuez macrumors member

:(

Saddens me to say, but I'm going to have to return it. My wifi has been going in and out. When it goes out, it's not such a simple resolution....I have to wait until it decides it's suitable to work again.

I'm not exactly sure what the odds of this are, because apparently I'm the only person on these boards with a problem with the wifi.

I went to the Apple store today, and they generously gave me an entirely new computer in exchange for mine. I got lucky that they had the custom one I built on Apple.com

My new computer was working fine all day, but just an hour ago the internet started to slow down. I checked my other computers, and the internet was fine on those. (Yes, I restarted the router and modem as well.) Did some downloads, compared speeds (next to each other), and my i7 15 inch Macbook Pro was significantly slower than even my white Macbook that I have had for 4 and a half years.

Anyways, just curious if you think Apple will give me crap over the phone tomorrow? I'm assuming they'll be pretty cool about it and refund me 100%....

These Macbook Pros are incredible computers though. What a great machine. I'm so sad to have to return it....

2. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Me too. Hopefully I won't have to return mine -_-

3. heliuscc macrumors member

Hardware the other end?

What router/ access point/ wifi service are you using? Have you tried another method, such as a different router or usb wireless access dongle?

4. JGuez thread starter macrumors member

Trendnet TEW-671BR.

I don't think it's a big brand name, but it is very good. Has great reviews and has done me very well since I bought it a few months ago.

I have not tried another router simply because I do not even want to bother to spend money on other routers to test them out when something like this shouldn't even be a problem in the first place.

I'd rather wait it out and let Apple fix this issue.

Just a guess, but I believe this could be related to the iPad wifi issue.....Not sure if they would be using the same attenas though.

5. tommyknockrs macrumors newbie

Yeah it's hard to say what's going on. I think a lot of problems range from mixing wireless B, G, and N signals, where they can cause each other grief in a mixed mode situation. Are all your computer's connecting to Wireless-N? Have you tried having your new Macbook Pro be the only client on the router? I'm not sure about the configuration of the MBP or the router, but maybe try transmitting in Wireless-G only or set the MBP to use Wireless G only and see what happens?

6. JGuez thread starter macrumors member

I tried it on all signals that my router had, and still no dice.

It works now in the morning (, as I suspected), and Apple was nice enough to pay for the return shipping.

The customer service is great and it's what you would expect after spending a couple thousand dollars on a product.

Until we meet again Macbook Pro....until we meet again....