Returning 16GB for 32GB through AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Philalbe, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Philalbe macrumors 6502

Hi. I purchased my iPhone 4 through AT&T online. I love it, but I regret not getting the 32GB model. I'm still within the return window. I'm wondering if I could just go to my local At&t store and simply pay the difference? Anyone have any experience with this? Will I have to mail it back, or if I bring to a local store will I have to wait while the funds are credited back to me? I did an early upgrade, so the phone cost me $399.99 before tax. If I can just pay the $100 difference (maybe plus restocking fee) I'd definitely go for it; but if I have to wait for the original $400 to clear again I'll just say forget. Sorry for the long winded explaination:eek:

2. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

As long as you still have the box, with everything that came with it, and your receipt, yes, AT&T will let you do a one time exchange.

3. Philalbe thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool. Thanks for the info. I may have to do it!:)

4. Nickel Dime Bay macrumors regular

Ive also been thinking of doing this, I have until the 9th to decide. So we just go and pay the $100 difference and walk out with a 32gb?? I have everything that came with it.

5. Philalbe thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi. Just got off the phone with ATT. The guy was really nice and even called my local ATT store to check if that was actually the case. It ended up being a moot point because they were out of the 32GB model. He said that if they had the phone in stock I should have been able to just pay the difference, but if I returned it while they were out of stock I would have to wait for the funds to clear and the phone to come in. Hmmm...not sure how much sense that makes? He also said it could take up to 3 weeks for them to get the phone in. After my long wait for my 16GB, I don't think I want to put myself through that waiting game again. I may check in with my local store here and there to see if they got some in before my return window is up, but I'm definitely not going phoneless in the meantime. Worst case I'll learn to manage the space on my 16GB; not an easy task for a music junky :eek:

6. BigRedOne macrumors regular

I purchased a 32g 3GS and within the 30 day window, returned it for the new iPhone 4. They didn't have the iPhone 4 in stock and expecting a long wait time, makes sense new model. They let me keep my 3GS in hand and use it until my iPhone 4 came in and then I paid a stocking fee (10%). They did caution me to keep in like new as possible.

Oh course my goal was to lock in the unlimited plan and to get the new iPhone 4, did both for a little time and the cost difference of the stocking fee.

I would let them know that you are not happy with the 16 Gig and your wish to take advantage of the 30 day window. It is not your fault the success of the iPhone was not anticipated by both ATT and Apple. You have personal and business issues that require you to have a phone and you request to be allowed to use the 16 Gig until the new one arrives. They did it for me.... Good Luck.

7. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

Hmmm wow so it can go against you to, Apple & AT&T did not know you were a schmuck and got a 16gb instead of a 32gb. You should of known what size you need.

8. Philalbe thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not sure who the schmuck comment's directed at, but I think I'm being pretty good natured. I never complained about Apple. I simply stated I was interested in maybe moving up to the 32GB while my return window was still open. I would have gotten the 32 off the bat, but since I was upgrading early I was paying roughly $400. it wasn't an easy decision at the time, but now I have the extra hundred to burn, so why not try to upgrade if it makes me happy?;)

9. Philalbe thread starter macrumors 6502

That's pretty cool, that they let you hold on to your current phone in the meantime. I wonder if they would consider doing that for me? Couldn't hurt to ask, I suppose?

10. sloppygator2013 macrumors regular

You do not just pay the difference. They make you pay full price (700+ tax). You will be refunded 400+tax after one billing cycle which is roughly one month. They will email you a pre-paid label to mail in your 16 gb. You will be refunded within 10 days of the date you shipped your 16 gb back in. It will be refunded into the account that you used to pay for it.