Returning 27" 2009 iMac.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GeorgeN111, Jul 18, 2011.

1. GeorgeN111 macrumors regular

Hello, i purchased almost one year ago a 27" iMac. The iMac itself is a refurb and i believe its the 2009 model. It is the 2.66 i5 model. I have returned it twice prior to writing this due to a black line which seems to appear and has appeared twice before. A couple of weeks ago i noticed that once again a black line has appeared and it is starting to irritate me. Apple have also said that because this is the third repair i will receive a new iMac. This is only the case because it has repeated replacements on the same piece of hardware. I have Apple Care and i plan on returning the machine later this week. Has any one here had any experience with returning a machine and gaining a new one. Will they give me another refurb, i know that as of writing this they do not have any of the exact models on the refurb store and im guessing stock of these are running dry due to it being a 2009 model. Will they just give me a brand new machine. I would just like to know what to expect.

Please share your experiences:D

Many thanks, George.

2. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

THey should replace it with a comparable machine from the current lineup. Not sure if they will pull from the refurbs or not.

Hopefully it all goes smoothly for you!

3. zedsdead macrumors 68040

I had issues with the first gen MacBook Air, and they replaced it with the Rev B model due to all the fixes needed. I imagine it will be the base 27" 2011 model if I had to guess.

4. GeorgeN111 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your help guys. Hopefully i will get the base 2011 27" iMac. That would be great. Just a few questions regarding the replacement. What is the turnaround time like, how long does it usually take to send the machine back and receive a new machine. I only have experience with having a system repaired and also when and of course if i receive a new iMac will it have Lion on it already or not. I am relatively new to Mac and this is just a question which popped into my head. Thanks for your help so far, i really appreciate it. By the way i will be phoning AppleCare first thing tomorrow.

Many thanks, George.

5. zedsdead macrumors 68040

I believe they give you two choices...either you send it back first, which takes time.

Or, you ship it, give them the tracking number, and then they ship the new one right away but put a lean on your credit card in case there is a problem.

Something like that. Good luck! Hopefully you get a new iMac with Lion already installed!

6. GeorgeN111 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks for posting the details. I appreciate your help. Hopefully Lion will come on board but if not Lion is reasonably priced any way. The upgrade in terms of processor will be nice. I will report back with what Apple have to say, they are usually amazing when it comes to customer service. The main reason why i will only buy Apple now when it comes to electronics that they sell.

7. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I had a white 2008 MacBook, twice it went in with cracked chassis, on the second time Apple offered me the base MBP for the £100 difference on the new purchase price.

Needless to say I snapped their hand off :D

8. GeorgeN111 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow:eek: Nice upgrade man. I would have done the same if i was in your position. Congrats on your new machine :D

9. GeorgeN111 thread starter macrumors regular

Just phoned Apple and although i have had two repairs they only classed it as one because the second repair was due to a mistake by the people repairing the unit so it was classed as the same repair. They told me i can send the unit into my local repair centre and that will then be classed as the second repair. I am kind of happy in one way because i will no longer miss out on the first week of Lion and to be honest i cannot see the defect unless i put a grey background on the Mac and even then it is very minor. I am going to be keeping it for a while and may get it repaired in the near future. Will probably upgrade the machine itself in the next few years, i am really happy with this machine and it does everything i want it to incredibly fast. :D Thanks for your help guys, at least i know what the process will be like if it eventually comes to that stage.

Many thanks, George.