Returning a free BTS iPod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by spicyj, Jun 10, 2010.

1. spicyj macrumors member

Has anyone tried to go to the Apple store to return an (in box, still sealed) iPod touch bought at the Back to School promotion?

I saw a good deal on Craigslist and I've previously returned iPods I've gotten for free from other sources to the Apple store, but I'm worried that if I tried that with one of these, they'd reject it saying that it was from the promotion.

Please don't respond unless you actually have tried this or for some other reason know the answer because I'd prefer that this thread is not cluttered up by people saying "there's no way this would make sense for Apple" or "you're crazy" without any actual info. ;)

Thanks!

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

A physical Apple Retail Store typically cannot accept a return for an online-store purchased product. I am not sure why they accepted returns for products purchased anywhere else than directly from them either...Your best bet to arrange a return is to contact Apple Sales Support @ 1-800-676-2775 with your order number.

3. spicyj thread starter macrumors member

My main concern is that they wouldn't want to take it back because the rebate was redeemed. Does anyone know if this is an issue?

4. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

You'd probably be better off selling it rather than trying to take it back if you redeemed the rebate on it.

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Yeah I'd have to agree with this. If you redeemed the rebate, the iPod is for all intents and purposes yours to keep or re-sell. I would imagine trying to return it through a physical store or Sales Support is just going to give an Apple employee a stroke trying to sort out how to process your request :p

6. chriszzz macrumors 6502

So you want to scam them by returning a product that they gave away for free in exchange for money?