Returning a last gen 2.4 Ghz for a 2.5?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steamed.hams, Oct 17, 2008.

1. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

Yesterday, I put a 15" 2.5Ghz refurb mbp in my shopping cart. 2 minutes later, they ran out of stock, so I decided to just get a 2.4 Ghz and pocket the extra ~$200. Now I"m wondering if I made the right decision.

I've spent the last few hours searching older threads, and some are saying that the 2.5, which has double the cache is significantly better. Others are saying that there is a negligble difference in performance.

I'll be using it for MS office, ichat, and audio production - logic, protools, ableton, etc...So should I return the 2.4 and just buy a 2.5 on amazon? I was very excited about getting my first mac, but I don't mind waiting a little longer to get the "right" specs. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

How long will you be using it?

If its your "main" rig for quite some time, and you have the coin, upgrade to the 2.5. (you'll get more HD space too)

If you think it'll be "short" term then stick around with your purchase.

I'd consider long term to be 3 years or next decent refresh. Short term is anything less.

4. steamed.hams thread starter macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

I like to update every 2-3 years.

Does the 0.1 difference effect the longevity of the machine or something?

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I just bit the bullet and got the 2.5 from MacMall with the rebate and free stuff. Amazon ran out.

I checked the speed comparison between the 2.6 and the 2.4, and there is quite a difference on barefeats.com.

I figure the 2.5 is in between the two. 512MB VRAM, more Cache, and a bigger HD.

I upgrade every 3 years, and actually this upgrade is at the 2.5 year mark for me, but I didn't want to get a refurbished or used laptop. I hate glare, so these MBPs is what I was hope to get.

2.6 is available but to expensive at retailers, not worth it for me for THAT extra .1. But 2.4 to 2.5 is a bigger change IMHO.