Returning a Macbook Air for the 4 GB RAM version

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MacAir47, Jan 3, 2011.

  1. MacAir47 macrumors member


    Jan 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I purchased my Macbook Air 1.86 Gig, 2 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD Memory on December 18, 2010 using my educational discount on the Apple Store website. I was debating at the time to get the extra 2 GB RAM or not, but in the end I went with the 2 GB RAM version because I could not afford the 4 GB version.

    I have been reading the forums to see if 2 GB of RAM would be enough for the future, especially with the forthcoming OS X Lion in the summer of 2011. I mainly use it for schoolwork such as word processing, spreadsheets as well as using it for music and for the internet.

    I called Apple about this issue, but I am not sure if I want to return it and lose 10% of the purchase price that I paid for. That's a lot of money to lose in one shot.

    I went to my local Apple Store in Seattle, but they will not take returns from the Apple online store since their inventory numbers are not the same. Even though they carry the computer I want with the extra RAM installed.

    Does anyone think that it would be worth it to do this return or just keep what I have in the first place? I have until January 10th to make this decision. I hope someone can help me.

  2. size100 macrumors regular

    Dec 18, 2010
    Why do people expect this OS update to use significantly more ram?

    Check how much RAM you are using right now and that should factor into your decision. It would be the best thing to base your decicsion on.
  3. KPOM macrumors G5

    Oct 23, 2010
    IMO, 2GB is sufficient for most tasks in OS X. The main reason I went with 4GB was that I use Windows 7 in virtualization, and want the extra RAM. Plus, I intend to skip the Rev E and wait for the Ivy Bridge versions. While I don't expect Lion to need much more than Snow Leopard, that may not be the case with 10.8, or Windows 8 for that matter.
  4. crouchingtiger macrumors member

    Feb 15, 2004

    Keep the computer, you'll be fine!
  5. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

    Aug 22, 2009
    You are using a forum to justify an irrational decision. Don't.

  6. PeterSmith macrumors member

    Nov 12, 2006
    Cambridge, UK
    I wondered the same, having bought a 2gb 13" base level machine from an Apple Store that didn't stock the 4gb upgrade, and then wondering if I should take it back and order the 4gb version.

    I've installed memory menu, and been keeping watch. After a week's use, I've not had less that 400MB memory free with standard academic laptop use (wordprocessing, browsing, mail, reading papers/books, evernote, dropbox, Things, iCal etc. etc. open together). If I restart Safari from time to time that frees up more memory.

    So 2gb isn't at all a problem for this kind of usage now, and unlikely to be over a 3year life span.

    So just enjoy what you have and don't worry!
  7. newdeal macrumors 68020

    Oct 21, 2009

    you didn't have the extra $100 three weeks ago but now you are willing to pay a 10% restocking fee PLUS the extra $100 to get the new computer? 2gb will be just fine, Lion won't use any more ram than snow leopard does most likely. I would save your money and be happy with your purchase. If you don't run parallels you really won't need 4gb. If you find you find you are running low on ram just close something
  8. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 16, 2010
  9. Alvesang macrumors regular


    Sep 4, 2010
  10. MacAir47, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

    MacAir47 thread starter macrumors member


    Jan 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for everyone's replies

    I want to thank everyone for their input on my situation. I think I will keep the notebook that I bought since it will be used as a travel computer for schoolwork and other things. I do not plan to run Windows on it.

    Also, I do not want to waste the $124.90 on the return as well as pay for shipping. I would have to wait for the refund while the old computer is in transit until it arrives to Apple, which would be another five days or more. Then, purchase another Macbook Air with 4 GB and pay another hundred dollars for the new model. In the end, I would have paid over $225 plus shipping. I does not seem it's worth that kind of hassel.

    I was just concerned that perhaps in the future I will need more memory in case I decided to run other kinds programs or apps.

    I was thinking that perhaps I could purchase the one of the new Macbook Pros that will be announced later this month. I think it would be best to wait on that purchase until the reviews come in to make sure the new models have more capabilities as well as upgradability. That way I can add more memory if I need to. I am not sure if the new Macbook Pros will even use a regular laptop hard drives since Apple might use SSD as they have for the Airs.

    I think I will use my local Apple Store next time since it's easier, and if I have any problems with my computer they can help me with it. I talked to one of the employees about the return fee, and they usually waive it while it's still in the 14 day time period. I regret using the online Apple Store since it's hard to convince them to waive the return fee.

    Again, thanks for the replies. I think my problem is solved.:)

  11. gwsat macrumors 68000


    Apr 12, 2008
    That's my analysis, too. Unless you already know that you will need 4GB of RAM to run your apps, the chances are you don't. I agree with your recommendation, and others, that the OP should stick with his current MBA.
  12. jenzjen macrumors 68000

    Aug 20, 2010
    If I were you, and you really feel like you want the 4GB now, I would call Apple again. I've had it work for me *only* when I'm buying something more expensive, so just tell them that you are using all 2GB and now realize you need 4GB so can they place another order and let you return the old one.

    As long as you are ok with 2 charges on your cc, all you will be out in the end is the return shipping cost. Once, the return agent even emailed me a return label, but that was rare.
  13. Gen macrumors 6502a


    Jul 15, 2008
    Stick with the 2GB
    If you couldn't afford the $90 upgrade when you bought it how can you afford it now with an additional $124.9 to boot?
  14. BENJMNS macrumors 6502


    Dec 28, 2005
    get the 4gig

    it'll be much easier to dump it once you're thru with it
  15. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

    Jun 27, 2004
    In my experience, the Apple Store (retail and online) has never charged a restocking fee, even though it's in their policy.

    And if they say they are going to charge it, any mention that you know someone who has had it waived, and you don't understand why you can return to BestBuy, etc... and not have a restocking fee will probably get it waived.

    I'd say go with the 4GB RAM model, if the restocking fee is all your worried about.
  16. KPOM macrumors G5

    Oct 23, 2010
    January is a good time to make a return at an Apple store, particularly a trade-up. Lots of people get Christmas gifts and want to trade up to something else.
  17. nateo200 macrumors 68030


    Feb 4, 2009
    Northern District NY
    6-7 out of 10 times people on forums are going tell you to get the best option because they are in ways translating there needs/wants to your decision.....Of course I still do it in hope that someone posts something seriously wrong with my current buying plan but I usually don't go 100% or even 40% of what people on forums say...I just use it for reference much like a review except better in some ways in that theres more long term owners.
  18. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020


    Mar 17, 2009
    You need to keep it. Seriously. It'll be fine.
  19. sebseb81 macrumors member

    Dec 12, 2010
    Note: The education store discount brings the price of the extra 2 GB of RAM down to $90... for what that's worth.

    I don't think the debate between 2GB and 4GB is trivial in the least, especially if you are holding on to the machine for a while. I'm rather wary of how Apple can drop features/support rather quickly for older tech. The idea that Lion might be running iOS side-by-side with OS X (hinted at but not stated in the keynote) suggests that Lion might take a bit more RAM. Also, the shared memory with the 320M also takes a bite out of what you have available, no?

    Any chance that 4GB will come standard in the next release?
  20. rrl macrumors 6502a


    Jul 27, 2009
    Do the right thing: Return it and get an ultimate.
  21. gecis, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011

    gecis macrumors regular

    Jun 26, 2010
    Lol that reminds me Russel peters Chinese man parody "Be a man, do the wight thing".

    Return it and get the 4GB. I went the same route, I returned my 2GB at the store and ordered the 4GB online. Just be nice and tell then how loyal you are to Apple, they might wave the restocking fee.
  22. sixxmum, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011

    sixxmum macrumors 6502a


    Aug 15, 2010
    I'm pondering this as well. I got the 11 as a Christmas gift. I would have gone with the 4G of RAM had I made the purchase, but my spouse did. So, now I have to decide whether the extra RAM is worth his annoyance ;) and the cost. I don't do anything beyond office applications, web browsing, and some light photo work, so I think 2 will be fine. There is just something about the idea of 4... ;)
  23. bmat macrumors 6502

    Nov 24, 2004
    East Coast, USA
    I have an 11.6 ultimate, and when I look at RAM usage usually have over 2GB free. So when it came time to get my wife one, I debated pretty hard whether to go with the base model or the base model with the extra RAM.

    Eventually, I decided for the extra RAM, only because with a lot of the programs open I could get to the point where 2GB wasn't enough, barely, and the cost difference didn't make much of a difference to me once I decided to order from Mac Mall. But I was of the view that 2GB was enough.
  24. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

    Aug 11, 2010
    return it and get a mac pro and a 27 cinema display :D
  25. mm1250 macrumors 6502

    Sep 3, 2007
    I got the 4GB version and haven't looked back. If I plan on keeping this laptop for atleast 2yrs, the 2GB version won't suffice. I use Vmware to also run Win7 and no doubt the 2GB model wouldn't have been useful.

    It's a bit disappointing that Apple

    a) doesn't disclose anywhere on their site that the memory included in the notebook isn't user upgradeable like all other notebooks in the industry!

    b) They don't have a upgrade program for users to go from 2GB to 4GB. I'm guessing in a year there will be very upset MBA users who got stuck with 2GB and find out they can't upgrade to 4GB.

    Very bad business decision for Apple.

Share This Page