returning a nexus 7 for an ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Omgitsdesmond, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Omgitsdesmond macrumors newbie

so... I have a Google Nexus 7 tablet that I have a few more days to return. I'm not liking it as much as I had hoped. I am thinking about returning it to get the new ipod touch 5th gen to have as a backup i-device incase something happens to my iPhone, and perhaps to save battery on my iphone when I want to play certain games. Is the battery life significantly better on the ipod touch 5th gen than on the iphone 5? I know it says 40 hours of music playback time, which seems awesome, and about 8 hours or so video playback time, which also seems awesome.

2. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

The battery capacity is worse, but due to lack of cellular antennas iPod touch drains the battery significantly slower so yes it is better in terms of power management.

What is it that you dislike about the nexus tablet?

3. Omgitsdesmond thread starter macrumors newbie

The main reason I don't like it is because of the Google Play Store. The app selection isn't as good as iOS yet, in my opinion. Don't get wrong, it's a nice tablet and will probably work great for some people. It seems I just prefer iOS. I don't really care about widgets or different home screens. When it comes down to it, (again, to me at least) it's all about the apps. I want the apps to work well, and I want the apps to be there.

4. mwxiao macrumors regular

I am in a similar boat. I just returned my Nexus 7 yesterday and is thinking about getting a Touch. Android tablet apps are so limited and dull.

5. matneh macrumors regular

The Nexus 7 is really great for what it is, but at the end of the day I can carry the Touch around in my pocket all day long and can't do that with the Nexus 7.

6. Itouch g1 macrumors member

Why not go for a battery pack for the iphone & wait for the iPad mini to be announced?

7. BurningWater macrumors newbie

Why wait on a rumor?

8. chaoz28 macrumors newbie

lol, im on a dilemma right now on what should I get, a nexus 7 or an iPT5. I want the nexus 7 for overall value for the money and the specs is way higher than iPT5 but im worried about the size, Im not sure if it is the right device for me, im still a student. And I dont have any experience with android platform so I cant compare it with iOS. I sold my ipt4 last year and it was only great if you jailbreak it.

9. aquaboi924 macrumors member

I did think about getting a Nexus 7 but settled on the touch. Couldn't be happier.

10. BurningWater macrumors newbie

Just get the Touch. The Nexus 7 doesn't even have a microSD slot. If it did I would get it instead of the Touch. I myself considered getting a Nexus 7 but the fact that it offered such a small amount of space WITHOUT a microSD slot was a total deal breaker for me.

11. Androidfan1x macrumors regular

well if storage is your problem then you might want to wait for the 32gb nexus 7, someone in japan already have it.

12. DioFan macrumors newbie

My family and I have always been Apple users, be it phones or music devices. My sisters son was wanting an ipod 5gen, but he changed his mind.

Me...What other music device is he lookig at over the ipod 5?

Her...Galaxey S II.

Me...Thats strange, thats a phone not an Mp3 player.

Her...He did his homework, GS2 hardware blows ipod 5G out of the water.

Having never used a galaxy I looked up the hardware specs. The G2 was on par with the iphone 5..
    I have no idea about G2 aps or the mp3 player, must be a downside some where, or ipod users would be migrating to G2 over ipod 5.

13. BurningWater macrumors newbie

A Galaxy SII, at 16GB, costs roughly $420-430 new and about $350 used. A new iPod Touch 5g at 64gb costs $399.

16 x 4 = 64

Assuming both of the devices are new, why would I pay ~$30 more for 4 times less the capacity and features that I may not even need (i.e., phone capabilities)

The Galaxy SII is a phone. The iPod Touch is not a phone. Of course it's not going to beat the SII.
    You even acknowledge this but strangely act like it doesn't matter. Besides, the Galaxy SII had a much higher price point in the past if I do recall correctly. The fact that the phone's value has depreciated by so much so fast is quite telling.

It's obvious by the way your homework was done that you were just copying answers from the back of the textbook. That won't save you come test time. Proper studying is required! :eek:

14. DioFan macrumors newbie

I checked walmart.com Gs2 with straight talk are selling for $350. Having not used this phone, I can't say wether or not this phone UNLOCKED could be a replacement for an ipod5... .i.e. battery life, sound, apps etc...As for memory, $20 card for 32 gigs isn't that much. Personally, I would go with ipod 5gen (have one on order) I can see his argument, $400 for an Ipt5 vs SII & $350.

15. rtues-d2 macrumors member

I have a Galaxy S II. It's pretty good as a music player and the sound quality is just as good. In all honesty, it's like having a 4.5" tablet IMHO. I haven't used the native music player but I've been using Google Play Music which is cool because you can import podcasts and music in your iTunes Library into it. Only complaints I have are that wi-fi seems to drain the battery quickly (like 5 hour battery life with average usage) and of course, the whole "it's made of plastic which makes it feel cheap" thing.

16. Androidfan1x macrumors regular

- galaxy s2 is an android phone
    - ipod touch is an phoneless ios device

if you want to compare the galaxy s2 with other device, compare it to the iphone 5 (most everyone won't do this, because they would compare the iphone 5 with the s3 instead, of course) which is also a phone,
    the ipod touch from apple or galaxy players from samsung are phoneless smartphones, so you can compare them (the current galaxy players are not as good as the ipod touch, they were released a year ago, so you might want to wait for the galaxy player 5.8 and compare)

why compare a galaxy s2 - a android smartphone, to an ipod touch - a phoneless ios device? it just depends on your preferences: screen size, phone calling feature, android or ios,...

17. chaoz28 macrumors newbie

Maybe on CPU benchmarks but with GPU, ipod wins.

iPhone 4S = iPod Touch 5th Gen

[​IMG]

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Nope....

I don't know how more inaccurate you could be.

19. BurningWater macrumors newbie

I don't know where you live, but 32GB SD cards will run you much more than $20. Try 3 times that price, minimum, if you're looking at a well respected brand like SanDisk. That's the case where I live.

20. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

You have to be very careful when comparing specs across platforms. Except for some specs, such as dimensions and storage capacity, most specs cannot be compared. For example, the android device may have more RAM, but what good is it, when the iOS device is faster with less RAM, because the software is more optimized and uses RAM more efficiently. So the android with MORE RAM is slower than the iOS with LESS RAM... and what do you care about: a number, or how fast your device is? Same for chip speed, graphics and so on.

Bottom line: you can't just compare numbers and draw conclusions. You need tests - and real life tests are better than some synthetic tests that don't describe real world use.

Ultimately, it's not even about the specs. It's about user satisfaction with the WHOLE package. How is it to use a given device vs another one? Maybe one is a bit faster, but tends to crash a lot - so what good is "faster" here? Maybe one is a lot easier to use, so you are only tapping two times to accomplish something, whereas another device is "faster", but it takes SIX taps to accomplish the same thing - all that speed is wasted when it takes the user longer to get to the point of completing the task or operation.

FWIW, Apple's focus is user experience. Which is why they put a lot of emphasis on real-life usefulness and ease, and not on specs. Most companies cannot match this, even if they can be ahead on hardware "specs". I've handled some Samsung products that were amazing hardware specs, but the software sucked badly, and in the end, I preferred the "lesser" hardware that had MUCH better software.

It's about the whole experience. Comparing numbers is just not going to tell you much of anything.

Grab both products and compare in your own hands for your own uses and your own priorities and your own taste. That's the only way to really make a fair comparison for yourself. And you may reach a different conclusion from your friend who has different needs, and that's OK too. Choices are good!

21. cnev3 macrumors 6502

I am also in a similar position. I ditched my ipod touch and got a samsung exhibit II 4G, because I got a $30 a month plan that included unlimited data with 4GB of 4G internet, which was a sweet deal and waaay cheaper than an iPhone plan.

But after a few months of using it, im done. The phone sucks. Google market sucks. Android platform sucks. I miss the apple store selection, the great apps that arent on Android, and not having to worry when I download a game if my phone will run it acceptably.

Since I still am not willing to spend the $100 a month for an everything iPhone plan, I got freedompop, (free 500mb of 4g internet) for my new ipod touch that I ordered. And I have my dumb phone for voice calls, which costs me a whopping $10 a month.

22. smallaw macrumors newbie

I have both. I got my Nexus 7 months ago and I love it. The two devices seem similar but have different purposes. The Nexus is great for full web browsing, reading, videos, and some games. For music, taking pictures, or complete portability, the Touch is better. The Touch's screen kills the Nexus, but the Nexus' Internals are beefier. They both have hardware quirks too: the Nexus doesn't support 5 ghz wifi, and the Touch doesn't have an ambient light sensor for auto brightness. Just depends on your use. Both have trade offs.