Returning a S0 for repair?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rhyme, Jan 20, 2019.

1. rhyme macrumors regular

rhyme

I have a stainless steel, original gen (series 0) watch that has just had the back fall out, damaging the connecting cable as it did so. It is out of warranty (even the extended warranty for backs falling out), so Apple says it will be AU$350 to return it for repair or (more likely) replacement.

It is definitely not worth paying that much for a S0, but I doubt Apple still have S0 stock so I suspect I might end up with a slight upgrade. Does anyone know for sure? Would I end up with an S1 or maybe even S2?

2. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

S1 not available in SS and S2 still NOT worth $350.

3. SDColorado macrumors 68040

SDColorado

I am assuming you probably want the silver SS color? If not, there is a Space Black SS refurbished on the Apple site for $379 that would be money better spent. If so, keep an eye on refurbs.

4. rhyme thread starter macrumors regular

rhyme

Thats US$379, though, which equates to around AU$530, so it is quite a bit more.

5. SDColorado macrumors 68040

SDColorado

My apologies. I failed to notice the AU you had posted in your original post. Still, I would have to agree with Julien. I don't think I would spend AU $350 (about $250USD) for a series 0. Series 2, *if* that is for certain what you would receive, then maybe yes.

6. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

Apple Watches are not repairable.

I’d say the chances of you getting a S2 are 50/50.

The S0 has been out of production for at least 2 years but I’ve seen some reports of apple replacing S0s with S0s still in 2018.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

At minimum, it would be a Series one, but it very well could be a series 2. Usually what Apple replaces watches with, depends on their stock is as well.

8. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I had my screen pop out on an original 1st gen Stainless steel watch that was so old it wasn’t covered by the 2 year extended warranty. This happened in September of 2018. I took it to the San Antonio Texas Apple Store and they were going to charge me a huge repair fee. They assured me that I would get a Series 0 as a replacement and NOT a Series 2.

9. rgyiv macrumors member

rgyiv

I'd buy a refurbished Series 3 if you can one from apple or best buy, instead of doing a $250 series 2 swap