Returning Air after 2 days

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SyncSpin, Aug 19, 2011.

1. SyncSpin macrumors member

Well, that was quick. I am returning my Air tomorrow to Bestbuy. I spent $1300 on an item that loses wifi far too consistent. I have to turn Wifi off and on to get it to work again. When its first turned on, comes out of sleep, or other times in the middle of working on stuff for no reason.

I've heard people say to check my router, but forget that. I have 5 computers/apple tv/ipad in my house and this is the only item that has this issue. Doesn't take a genius to figure out where the problem is.

Sigh...why can't things just work.

2. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Your particular one may have a defect. I wouldn't conclude that this problem exists with all MBAs secondary to some design problem.

3. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I had this problem with my first Mac (2010 mbp). After a month, it quit doing it. Never had another problem.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

While there have been some Wi-Fi issues with the new MacBook Air and Lion, yours looks like an outlier. You probably received a dud with a bad wi-fi card. It happens. I'd exchange it and try again. According to Consumer Reports surveys, Apples have similar problem rates to other notebook manufacturers (they are better than average at desktops), but they rate higher in terms of customer service.

5. ccsicecoke macrumors regular

Just let you know, I have been through the exact same issue that drops wifi signal a lot and I have to turn off and on the wifi every time to resolve it.

It seems due to a software bug with OS X Lion 10.7. Updated to 10.7.1 through software update and the issue has gone

6. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

Interesting. I was having wifi issues with my 2007 iMac on 7.0 but not my MBA. The issue seems resolved in my iMac after 7.1

7. KPOM macrumors G5

In another thread, he mentioned that he installed 10.7.1. That's why I'm guessing it's a defective Wi-Fi card.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You know, it could also be the router. In the past I have had problems with off-brand routers and Apple products. Every other device worked fine, but the Apple product was a little finicky I finally bit the bullet and got a NetGear access point, and my problems went away. I now have a Time Capsule, and my Apple wifi is flawless.

Go figure.

9. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

Two days seems quick. I'd do at least one exchange, upgrade to 10.7.1 and see how it works out. If it still persists then return it.

10. SyncSpin thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I am just extremely frustrated. Its fairly constant. Its even more confusing like its not the wifi card itself because some stuff keeps working.

For instance I will be listening to music on grooveshark which is streaming, then I open mail and it says its offline. I then load a new window and it too comes up no connection but the grooveshark is still playing in the background.

I then close and open wifi and it all returns.

I am going tomorrow I may exchange it based on everyone heres opinion.

Thanks!

11. minnus macrumors 6502

That sucks - I'd consider an exchange if that is your only ailment. I don't suffer from WiFi drops - and speeds/latency are what I expect. I am connected to a mediocre NetGear N3000.

12. mechanopony macrumors member

mechanopony

I'd agree, Apple is really good about exchanges when you have a problem.

13. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I haven't seen any WiFi drops on my MBA, now my iPad2 is another story.

14. mixman macrumors member

MBA does have its share of wifi issues. For me, after a sleep, it couldn't find the wifi anymore. I had to manually re-select it from the menu on login. Did not lose wifi during usage, though.

15. bursthead macrumors 6502

bursthead

I have the intermittent wifi issue at school, I will have to reconnect. I havent checked to see if 10.7.1 fixed the issue.

But I never experienced the same wifi issues at home. I use a dlink in my apt and Airport Extreme at my other home. Could be the router that is part of your issue..

16. neile45 macrumors regular

Funny, my daughters' 2 iPod touches do this, my iPad 2 does this, but my Air has not done this.

17. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

User having user problems

I can't imagine this being hardware issues otherwise this would be an epidemic and recall for apple.

I've never lost wifi in the month i've owned the Air, from home, at coffee shops, at the airport etc.

18. AMSR macrumors newbie

I'm not sure this is a Macbook Air specific issue. My 2007 MBP does this under Lion and it didn't do it on 10.6. The 10.7.1 update has not resolved this issue for me...

19. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

You likely have a defect with your wifi ... just exchange it ... instead of posting here you could probably of been half way to Best Buy by now :)

20. meefer macrumors newbie

Just a thought based on your description... Does it drop wifi when you aren't using grooveshark?

21. wiregen macrumors member

Have you tried manually assigning the IP on your computer? I found that my linksys router wouldnt give an IP address to my air everytime I would try to connect to it.