Returning Air, deleting data

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SoIsays, Jul 11, 2012.

1. SoIsays macrumors regular

So I will be returning an Air but I am clueless as to what to do with deleting my info from the laptop. How do I delete my Apple ID from the Air? Do I have to do a reformat? Can I just remove my Apple ID and poof nothing can be tied back to me? I will be deleting the apps and programs I installed but want to be sure that when it is back in the store's hands, my info will be gone.

2. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Just simply format the entire machine?
    Don't necessarily have to bother reinstalling the OS...

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

this. Boot holding option and go to disk utility and then erase the drive. Like he said, you do not have to reinstall the OS

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Restart your computer. Hold down alt (opt) when it's rebooting. A menu should come up with two icons Macintosh HD and Recovery HD. If the menu did not come up, you were too late. Restart again and hold alt.

Click on the arrow below Recovery HD. Choose Disk Utility. Select Macintosh HD and then click the Erase tab. Click Erase... (you can also choose a one pass security option if you wish)

Everything is gone. You will not be able to boot up again with going into the internet recovery and having to reinstall everything.

5. SoIsays thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone, I will try that when I get home.

6. asting macrumors 6502

To remove your id create a throwaway email and change it to that, then delete your old.

7. SoIsays thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I'll try that too.

8. asting macrumors 6502

If it's going back to the store i imagine they reimage the machine. The second method is good if you're selling and don't want to reinstall. If you're doing that I'd recommend a program to delete your files, not just the pointers.