Returning an external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by StrokeMidnight, Mar 15, 2008.

1. StrokeMidnight macrumors member

Hey, I got a Western Digital 1TB Essential Edition external hard drive that I'm going to return to Best Buy today because it's been messing up my iMac. I pretty much have two questions:

1. How do I get all the files off? What disk wipe programs can I use? Also, if I do a disk wipe will I delete some important software on the external hard drive?

2. What is a good hard drive to get? I do a lot of video editing and music composition so I need something really fast.

Thanks in advance!

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

3. StrokeMidnight thread starter macrumors member

That shouldn't really be a question you need to ask because all I wanted to know is how to clear it and what to get instead. If you must know I will have it plugged in and I'll open a .mov file, then it will say cannot be opened this is not a .mov file, I will unplug the hard drive and it will open fine. I can't type anything in Microsoft Word, and it takes 5 minutes to do a single edit in Logic, 5 minutes loading time. Don't give me a solution I just want an answer to my questions.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

well the best way is to reformat the drive with DiskUtility, choosing the 7 x erase option if you want security of knowing your files are probably not recoverable.

Did you format the drive to Mac format when you initially set it up?

(PS: Other forum members may want to know about the details of the problem you were having, in case they are considering the same brand.model of drive, or in case they have similar problems. It's not only about getting your answer, it's about increasing the knowledge of the MR community)

As far as a good drive for video etc., you should definitely be looking at a Firewire 400 (or FW800) drive, not a USB drive. USB is much slower than Firewire in the real world, and sucks up an appreciable % of your CPU processing power, which is what you don't want to happen when you are using high-demand programs like digital audio and digital video.

I generally recommend a good quality external case like a MacAlly or Vantec, plus install the raw hard drive of your choice. That way, you get the full manufacturer's 3 or 5 year warranty on the drive mechanism, instead of 1 or 2 years like most finished-goods external drives.

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Well if the problem can be fixed, and nothing is wrong with the drive, then you don't need to return it. Then you also wouldn't need to find a new one to get. Just trying to help, oh well, best of luck.

6. StrokeMidnight thread starter macrumors member

How long will it take to do a 7x wipe of the hard drive? How about zeroing out the hard drive? I need to return it today.

It's a 1TB hard drive, but I've only used 30GB.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

A 7 pass could take a couple of days vs. a zero pass.

Also take it easy, don't be so harsh, use common logic man, have you ever of the old line, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you"? Don't be mean to people that are helping you, they may purposely give you the wrong info due to your responses.
    Cheers.:)

8. StrokeMidnight thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so I returned my hard drive. What's a good 1TB firewire hard drive?

9. zschiffman macrumors member

Pick up an internal WD Caviar drive with an external casing. I just got a WD Caviar 750gb with an Icy Dock FW 400 external casing and I LOVE it.

To be working in Logic and Video editing you need FW400 or FW800, no questions asked. You are kicking yourself in the ass using a USB drive. :apple: