Returning Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by chirho412, Jan 9, 2009.

1. chirho412 macrumors newbie

I am finding my :apple:TV experience to be less than satisfactory. It is really sluggish, sometimes taking 30 seconds to process a request. And don't even get me started about the iPhone remote app and the :apple:TV. It is not working. Am I an anomaly? Should I return this thing and get one that works? Or is this the experience :apple:TV delivers?

2. dmm219 macrumors 6502

something doesn't sound right....30 secs to load a file?

My ipod touch works great with my ATV...but I still like using the Mac remote.

Did you call apple support?

3. kolax macrumors G3

Try restoring your Apple TV and starting fresh. I have no issues with mine, and my iPhone works a treat with it.

If not, then return it for another one, as it definitely sounds dodgy.

4. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I've had mine for over a year and it works great with the iPhone remote.

I just bought a second one and that's fine too. It was a bit sluggish out of the box because it was trying to sync movies. (I don't normally sync - stream only).

Turned sync off and it's been fine since.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Are you syncing the files or are you streaming?

6. alchemistmuffin macrumors 6502

STOP! You may have a Defective Device

If you recently bought the device, you may be able to get a new one for free that WILL WORK

The sluggish is not supposed to happen, it might be something wrong with the :apple:TV's hard disk.

If you can read this post, PLEASE, don't just return it, go to the Genius Bar, and they will diagnose the problem.

7. chirho412 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone!

That tells me what I needed to know. I am packing up the :apple:TV and heading to the Genius Bar. It seems counter-intuitive that streaming media would put less of a strain on the system resources than syncing, but that seems to have been some of the problem. It is still a lot slower than it ought to be.

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I have 3. Occasionally it takes a few second, maybe up to 10, to start streaming a video (playing things on the ATV's HD is instant), but otherwise they work quite well. Even with my iPhone.

9. BoulderBum macrumors 6502a

I've never had any operation take more than a few seconds and my iPhone and iPod Touch work fantastically with the Apple TV. Something sounds fishy with your experience.

What kind of router do you have?

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Good thought. Personally, I have all Apple equipment (including the wireless router), so my experience has been very much plug & play. 3rd party routers, especially draft N models, may not always play nicely.

11. lindmar macrumors 6502

I think direct connect is a must.
    just my opinion.

12. chirho412 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an Airport Extreme that I got in July, so it is the new variety.

13. downinitjr macrumors member

It took me quite a while to figure out that I could stream my library to the apple TV, but still have it set to sync in itunes. This effectively just syncs the library file, and information about your library to the apple TV, so that every time you go to access your library on the apple TV, you don't have to wait for it to load. In itunes set the apple TV to custom sync, and then just don't select any of the movies, music, or photos to sync. This will allow the ipod/iphone remote to work correctly with the apple TV as well. If you have your library just streaming to the apple TV, the remote app will only work once you select something on the apple TV first.