Returning BTO and Credit Card Changing Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by meyer1131, Jul 23, 2015.

1. meyer1131 macrumors regular

Posted about a week ago that I bought a 13" MBP 128GB BTO 16GB Ram and 2.9Ghz Processor and I used my BARCLAYS CARD with Apple Rewards which was delivered yesterday.

After consulting with this forum, I was advised that I should return my purchase for a larger HD space, so I went ahead and purchased a 13" MBP 256GB BTO 16GB ram and scrapped the processor upgrade on my Citi Credit card (did not have the credit limit on my Barclays but want to use the Barclays to pay for my machine).

I was told on the phone during the 2nd purchase that I am able to just go and return the first computer, get the credit back on my Barclays card (0 interest for 18 months) and then take the 2nd computer to the store and do a return on the spot and move the charges from my Citi card to my Barclays card.

After seeing the back to school promo today, I went ahead and called Apple Cust Service to have the pair of headphones shipped to my account. When I walked her through my scenario, she said that in order to get the full refund for my BTO, I would have to return both computers and then purchase a 3rd computer using the Barclays card because BTO orders will not refund until they hit the Apple Warehouse.

Has anyone had any success changing credit cards on a BTO order without having to reorder the whole machine? I would prefer to not have to order a 3rd machine but instead just return the first, then return the 2nd one and repurchase on the spot with my Barclays card.

TL/DR: Bought computer 1 on Barclays (not enough HD), Bought upgraded computer 2 on Citi (want to pay for this with Barclays), can you return and repurchase BTO on the spot, or will I need to order yet a 3rd computer.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That makes sense, why should apple refund your credit card before they have possession of the returned computer.

You seem to be going through a lot of hoops at this point, why not forgo the headphones and just enjoy the laptop that you now have?

3. meyer1131 thread starter macrumors regular

I wanted to upgrade my SSD from 128GB (first computer) to 256GB per the recommendations of my peers and the members of this forum. I was just hoping to get the computers to overlap by ordering the 2nd computer on my other card. I was just going to return the first, then the 2nd and repurchase the 2nd on the spot with my Barclays in the Apple Store (the phone rep told me this was feasible).

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I understand but now that you have two computers and you're trying to do it a third time so that you can get the free headphones. It seems all too confusing.

5. meyer1131 thread starter macrumors regular

My goal is not the free headphones but the interest free financing from the Barclays Apple Card.

I bought the first computer on the Barclays Apple Card, but because I did not have enough credit limit to buy the 2nd one on my Barclays Apple Card I purchased it on my Citi card because I was told that I would just be able to go to the store, return the first computer (receive the refund on my Barclays card which would then allow me to move my 2nd computer purchase to my Barclays Card and thus get the financing that I enrolled in the card for).

I simply want to pay for the 256SSD machine with my Barclays card. I was hoping that I would be able to just take the 2nd machine (the one that I want to hold onto, to the Apple Store and return it on my Citi card and repurchase it on the spot on my Barclays card, thus transferring the balance and keeping the deferred financing).

Sorry for the confusion!

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No worries, I know sometimes the hoops you have to jump through can be confusing. I guess the bottom line is that you'll not a credit until they receive the computer.

7. meyer1131 thread starter macrumors regular

In which case, I might as well hold for the BTS Beats offer as well. It's a bummer I was misinformed on the phone for the 2nd purchase. I would have never purchased that computer on my Citi Card if I knew it had to go back to the warehouse and the BTO order has to come on my Barclays card :/

Fortunately, I should be able to capitalize on the BTS offer!