Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbeFroman77

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Does MacMall, B&H Photo, etc let you return an iMac because of a yellow screen and not charge a restocking fee?

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Remember that when purchasing from an authorized retailer you are still not dealing with Apple and policies vary. Since yellowing is a known problem you might be better off dealing with Apple as Apple has the best customer service.
After all the last thing you want is a bad IMAC and then to top it off you have to fight with a reseller. Some times saving the $100 isn't worth it.

AbeFroman77

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Remember that when purchasing from an authorized retailer you are still not dealing with Apple and policies vary. Since yellowing is a known problem you might be better off dealing with Apple as Apple has the best customer service.
After all the last thing you want is a bad IMAC and then to top it off you have to fight with a reseller. Some times saving the $100 isn't worth it.
For 2010 iMacs, it's new vs. refurbished.

If you have the AppleCare you'll deal with Apple no matter where you bought your iMac.
For yellow screen issues, Apple would only replace the panels, correct? I wouldn't want to buy a new iMac only to have it opened up to replace a defective part.

Hamilton1963

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
They will do what is necessary to fix your computer, and if necessary they will give you a brand new computer. At the end you'll be happy.

For yellow screen issues, Apple would only replace the panels, correct? I wouldn't want to buy a new iMac only to have it opened up to replace a defective part.

AbeFroman77

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2010
They will do what is necessary to fix your computer, and if necessary they will give you a brand new computer. At the end you'll be happy.

If the display isn't to my liking wouldn't they only replace the panel? Why would they give me a 2011 iMac?

I wouldn't either..... have you checked what HDD your iMac came with?

I had a 2011 iMac but returned it. I was thinking of getting a 2010 iMac to save some money.

Hamilton1963

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
Is there a problem with your display?

If the display isn't to my liking wouldn't they only replace the panel? Why would they give me a 2011 iMac?

I had a 2011 iMac but returned it. I was thinking of getting a 2010 iMac to save some money.

AbeFroman77

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Is there a problem with your display?

I'm possibly looking to get a 2010 iMac and Apple only sells refurbished. So if I want new I have to go with MacMall or B&H Photo. In case, there is yellowing, I want to be able to return it for a full refund. I'd rather not have Apple replace the display. Doesn't make sense to me to buy it new only to have it repaired if something is defective.

Unkei

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Returning iMac if you ordered from a store other than Apple

Does MacMall, B&H Photo, etc let you return an iMac because of a yellow screen and not charge a restocking fee?

Brick and Mortar Best Buy stores will simply exchange for a new one within 30 days (45 days if a Platinum Rewards member). No restocking fees of any sort no matter how you buy. Not sure about restocking fee if ordered online.
Unkei

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.