Returning iMac - Restocking Fee

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mrt209, Dec 17, 2010.

1. mrt209 macrumors 6502

I'm currently on my 2nd 27in iMac (returned first due to hard drive issue) and I thinking of returning this one and just stick to my old 20in iMac for now.

The reason I'm thinking of returning this one is that it has a small scratch on the screen (which at the beginning I did not care about until I started using a light background and got a multi-colored reflection), the hard drive is a bit noisy (less than previous but still noisy) and the fans are making a high frequency noise which is giving me headaches... I mostly work late at night so the high frequency is driving me crazy!

This would be my 2nd time returning the iMac and the 4th time bringing the iMac to the always crowded Apple store, so I'm tired of returning it and just want to have the money back and buy a new iMac next year summer when the new iMac comes out in hopes that it will have less issues.

So to my question... If I return the imac will I have to pay the 10% restocking fee? I know that I could swap it for a new one, but as I mentioned before I'm tired dealing with all the issues and would rather just use my silent 20 in iMac for now until. So, if I tell them that the iMac is having issues and making it hard for me to work and that I'm not satisfied, will they be likely to offer me a full refund?

Asking because I don't want to go through the hassle of brining it to the store just to find out I have to pay a restocking fee.

Thanks for your help :)

2. AndyMoore macrumors 6502

AndyMoore

Refund Policy

Depends on when you bought it and from where. This is the Apple Online Store policy -

3. mrt209 thread starter macrumors 6502

I bought it at my local Apple store... well first one I bought online but they gave me a gift card and then I bought the second at the store.

4. harcosparky macrumors 68020

The above quote just talks about the Extended Holiday Return period.

This one, also from the Apple Store, goes into more detail....

Looks like you will be hit with the fee.

5. mrt209 thread starter macrumors 6502

It only mentions the Online store but I assume it's the same for retail stores... so I guess I have to take the 200 dollars into consideration, and actually I'm on my 3rd mac, forgot that I got the i5 instead of the i7 the 2nd time and got full refund, but didn't open it so guess it's different this time.

6. Btom macrumors 6502a

My advice: next time check the store return policy BEFORE buying (why it has to be Apple store?). Also, scratched screen means it was probably NOT a new unit, but returned by somebody else.

Tom B.

7. mrt209 thread starter macrumors 6502

Fixed the scratch with windex, don't see the multi-color reflection anymore.

And I was aware of the return policy... but I didn't expect to have so many problems with my new iMac...

I'm going to closely monitor the fan problem and hard drive noise and if it continues to be a problem then I'll return it the day before the 14 days run out.

8. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Are you positive the high pitch noise is a fan issue? Or could it be the bad LED backlight board issue that is effecting imacs lately.

If you are not aware of it, when you turn your brightness down you get a high pitched whine. Usually occurs when brightness is between 20 & 80%. at 10% & 100% it usually goes away.

BTW, if you are returning it because you are unhappy with the quality of the machine, tell them that. Tell them the HD is noisy and the fans/LED backlight makes noise and it is unacceptable for you .

Usually if the return is due to an issue like this the 10% restock is waived. They have it for people that return it because of buyers remorse.

9. mrt209 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I'm going to the Apple store on Monday to return it. Will tell them that I'm returning it because of the noisy HD and fans and that I can't concentrate when working as you suggested.

When I returned my first iMac because of all the issues I just told the people in the store that I called Apple and they suggested to just return it rather than having anything repaired (which they did) and they just gave me a gift card. Prob will just tell them the same this time.

If they want the 10% fee then I'll fight them! :p After all it's not my fault that they gave me a faulty iMac, then gave me an iMac with the wrong specs, failed to add the student discount twice, and now gave me another faulty iMac.

10. mrt209 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well returned it today and got a full refund.

The first guy who met me at the store didn't want to have it returned, but then the store manager and the head genius heard that it was my 3rd time returning it and eventually let me return it for a full refund and suggested i get a Mac Pro instead. They said its very rare for someone to have problems with their iMac three times in a row, which is funny since it seems a lot of people here in the forums are on their 5th or 6th iMac :p I think it helped that my mom came along since she recently bought 20+ iMacs for work and once they heard that they immediately agreed to give me a full refund.

Anyway, I'm happy I got a full refund and I'm going to wait until the new iMac comes out to see if they've fixed the issues from the current mac. Maybe I'll get a Mac Pro who knows...

One things for sure, going back from a 27in screen to a 20in screen is hard :p

11. Choctaw macrumors 6502

Choctaw

Call and ask the store..get the persons name if they tell you no restocking fee...other choice.........swap it for what you think you want...and try to be happy with it.