Returning iPhone 3g after 7 days!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by struggs, Aug 7, 2008.

1. struggs macrumors newbie

I live in the UK and have been waiting for the iPhone 3g since the first iPhone was released. I waited well over a year, hoping that Apple would get the ‘Basics’ right… Unfortunately, I am sorry to say they have not. This is not a comment to ‘Bash’ the iPhone, it is merely my experience and I offer it as some way of guidance for anyone who is thinking of buying one.
    I write this coming from a Mac background. I have used Macintosh since the very start and always supported their products regardless of what other platform users have said or thought. That is why I am really disappointed with Apple’s 2nd attempt at the iPhone. Remember, this has always been sold as and promoted as a phone and it just does not do that job very well.

The BAD;

You cannot set user profiles and timed profiles like most phones have been able to do since the mid 90’s. At night I like to set my phone to a pleasant low ring which returns to my normal ringtone at 6am.
    Battery life is very poor considering my type of usage… Occasional emails, minimal web browsing, 4-5 sms messages mainly phone calls. I have location services off, screen brightness very low, I always remember to put the phone into stand-by and barely get a day’s use. I have been to the Genius Bar but they could not improve the performance.
    Random freezes which require a full restart, these are very annoying and becoming more common.
    The ring volume is not loud enough in today’s noisy city environments.
    The hands free speaker is not loud enough to conduct a conversation, unless you are in a room on your own.
    Email should mirror the SMS notification system and display a message on the blank stand-by screen when new mail arrives just like when a new SMS is received. At the moment I have to keep waking the phone, unlocking the device, and checking the email icon on the dock. This is very annoying when you are in a meeting, for me and other people around me. I know you are all going to say it vibrates but even that is not very strong and can easily be missed. Even when the phone is not in Silent mode the ‘New Mail’ is not obvious enough, why can’t I choose the sound that suits me?
    Also, if you have more than One email account you cannot view them all as ‘One’ inbox as you can within Mail on OS X. You have to keep going into each inbox and then returning to the main email menu and doing it all over again. A real pain in the backside if you have Six email accounts you have to check!
    There is no way to attach attachments in Mail? You can only send photos from Photos and then you can only do it One at a time! Come on, how time consuming is that when you have a lot of pictures to share.
    I cannot find a way to set the time before diverting calls to answerphone. At the moment it only rings for about 20 seconds and then diverts. I live in a 3 storey house, by the time I have run downstairs I have missed the call! (don’t tell me I should have the phone on me)
    The ability to hang on to a signal is a basic premises of any phone and my iPhone fails terribly. On a test this morning heading into London on the train I pitted the iPhone against a colleagues Blackberry. The Blackberry won hands down. For almost all of the journey the iPhone could not connect to the network and Safari kept telling me there was no signal… The Blackberry was on the same O2 network as my iPhone and did not miss a single opportunity to access email or the web.
    Have you tried to customize the home screen? If you hold down the screen for more than 2 secs all the icons start to wobble and you can drag them to your desired position which is cool… Except you can’t, because every time you move one all the others all reposition themselves in what I can only describe as ‘Random’ I am sure there is a knack to this but I cannot figure it out.
    You cannot change the bottom Four keys. Why should Apple decide what I want there. How hard could it be to allow users the choice.
    The camera is rubbish… My old Nokia has a better quality camera and it’s Two years old.
    There is more but I don’t want to sound negative and I am tired.

The GOOD;

SMS is great - I love the threaded conversations.
    Movies look great but really zap the power.
    iPod is nicely laid out but mine always seems to start up at maximum volume which does annoy me… a lot.
    iPlayer works well, when you can get a strong 3g signal or on Wi-Fi.
    Set-up is really easy and great if you are a technophobe.

CONCLUSION;

If you want a device that does it all in one, then I guess the iPhone is for you but you must be prepared for the shortcomings I have listed above. Don’t get me wrong, it is a marvel of modern technology, but so was the the first Motorola’s which came with their own built in car battery! It was great at the time but we have all moved on so why has the iPhone in today’s modern and demanding World not addressed all the basic’s? I think that Apple will address some of these issues through Firmware Updates, but most should have been corrected with the launch of the iPhone 3g. I loved the UI and the feel of the phone and I really wanted it to work for me but is just falls way to short. Having said that I will be buying an iPod Touch so that I can have the vast majority of what I loved about the iPhone without the stuff I hated. In my opinion, buy the iPod Touch and get a Blackberry or other device to check your email.

2. emr25 macrumors member

I can see where a lot of your disappointments are coming from, but I don't think it is possible to build a "perfect" phone. Someone will always have a feature they want added or a software/hardware issue.

However, the Home Screen issue you noted can be fixed. If you want to change the main 4 icons on the bottom of the screen, you just press and hold like any other, but you must move one of the 4 out of their place first, to free up an open space, then add whatever you wish back to the bottom. Also, I don't think the icons Randomly move themselves when you tap and hold to get the "wiggle" screen. When you move an icon, all of the icons after it simply slide up (or over, whichever terminology fits the situation) to the previous available slot.

I know this is probably a minor detail for you, as you had an extremely long list of issues, but I wish you luck on finding another phone that can do what the iPhone does. :)

3. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Interesting post. I have an iPhone1 (from day 1) and have similar problems with the loss of signal. I've not upgraded to the 3G as I don't see much in the way of improvements (apart from the OS which I can use anyway).

The battery of my phone lasts 2 full days with moderate use btw. I think the 3G is heavier on battery by your accounts.

Overall I think Apple are onto something but there are still glaring inadequacies with the iPhone that should really be addressed.

4. Carpe Deez macrumors member

Seems to me like you're just bashing Apple for the heck of it. The iPhone is perfect in every way and it should not be criticized, especially by someone like you, Bill Gates. You're just jealous.

I'm kidding, of course... but I'm sure below this you're going to get some posts like what I've written. Your points are spot on, expect for a few minor points like the bottom icons unable to be changed, etc... insignificant considering the flaws inherent in the phone. I hope it improves soon, but I may too return mine.

5. crazyitalian198 macrumors regular

Sorry to lose you....oh wait, I'm just going to continue living my life as if I hadn't read that post...

You do make some interesting points, but the iPhone is a unique smart phone. It isn't well suited for heavy business users who need every feature out there. However, it is more than enough for most business users and it is simple enough for regular individuals. It has single handedly expanded the smart phone market to the masses.

Stability will be fixed. It has already become much more stable with 2.0.1. It took about two or three updates before the original iPhone was perfectly stable.

I live in the United States and I have had no problems with my reception. At my home, I have perfect 3G reception. There is one area in town where I only get 1 3G bar; however, this is still more than enough to browse at speeds much faster than edge!

While it is limited compared to a blackberry, it is a far superior experience for most users. As soon as all the bugs are ironed out, it will be quite the phone. (I know, its BS you can't buy the phone with an already stable firmware...apple tends to bite off more than it can chew)

6. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

One question...what model phone does this? I don't know how different the phones in the UK are but I have never seen a phone in the US with this capability. That feature sounds nice, but I want to see it for myself.

7. 262Runnr macrumors regular

262Runnr

Adding attachments and multiple photos from email is also annoying for me ...maybe there will be a fix for that along with a few other issues like lack of a "search" feature, movie capture capability and cut & paste....
    However, all-in-all I find the iPHone to be really amazing device, especially when you realize that a lot of these issues can be fixed with third party software.
    I'll ride it out and keep mine. It was a tremendous step-up for me coming from my old LG 8300...LOL.

8. Carpe Deez macrumors member

See what I mean, OP? People on this board take things like this personally because they've spent a lot of money to buy and then maintain the phone on a monthly basis. They feel compelled to defend it because it reflects on their decision making ability.

9. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Many phones can do this natively. Any WM6 mobile phone can have manifold automatic/times profiles via the photocontacts pro application which even hooks into the calendar and puts the phone in meeting mode if you have an appointment marked as "busy" (can you even mark appointments as "busy" or "free" on the iPhone?).

As well as silly games and irrelevancies such as Light Sabre, I'd really like the App developers to start churning out useful Apps - I for one would pay good money for something as functional as photocontacts pro for the iPhone.

There may well be other apps for WM6 that can do this, but this is one I used a lot on my old (possibly soon to be returned to) HTC Tytn II.

10. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

An interesting post by the OP. I don't think that he is just bashing Apple at all. He has been a MAC enthusiast for some time. And he makes very interesting points about the Iphone.

Personally, I have found the phone to be an incredible device for my needs. But it does have its shortcomings, which I'm sure that Apple is working on. It is a work in progress. The battery life seems to be better than comparable smart-phones that offer the same type of functions(I don't mean the blackberry here).

It really just sounds like the iphone is not the right device for the OP's needs. I think he is making the correct choice by moving to the touch and the blackberry.

11. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

When you say "the photocontacts pro application", is this added to the phone AFTER purchase or installed natively out the box? I'm curious.

12. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

It's a third-party app you can buy from here.

FTOAD I have no affiliation with them whatsoever (except they got a few quid of my cash). And I'd like them to look at the iPhone OS and do the same thing whether via official AppStore (unlikely since I suspect Apple don't allow access that low) or jailbroken.

Some phones have similar but not so extensive profile management natively which can be scheduled or manually switched.

13. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

Thanks. Chances are they are already working on something like this for the iPhone...or someone is.

14. crazyitalian198 macrumors regular

Hmm, I see in your six days here you haven't picked up on sarcasm.....

And the rest of my post was completely logical. It addressed both sides of the coin.

Next time you want to suck someones nuts, suck DEEZ...

15. trixnrice macrumors member

I'd prolly go with an htc running wm6. They lack the innovation and entertainment prowess of the iPhone, but they accomondate ALL your business needs and whatever else you listed above. Goodluck.

16. struggs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the feedback. I had posted this on the Apple forum but mainly got angry responses from so called 'Apple' users! Interestingly, Apple removed my post the same day citing that I had breached Apple forum rules?
    Touched a few nerves more like!:)
    Anyway, have since returned my iPhone to O2. I am now going to wait and see what Apple do over the next few months. Looks like I'll have to get used to lugging my MacBook Pro around again.
    Thanks.
    Struggs