Returning iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GreenStripe, Jun 24, 2009.

1. GreenStripe macrumors member

I absolutely love my iPhone 3GS, but sadly, I just lost my job and I'm thinking it'd be best for me to return the iphone. I ordered the iPhone from apple.com, so I think I return the phone to apple, but then what do I do about ATT? They already charged me with a $110 phone bill, do you think they will reimburse me for that?

Has anyone gone through this process before? How does it work? Thanks

2. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

well it depends on how long you have signed on the contract. If within your 30 days, you can cancel without ETF and just pay what you have used.

3. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Sorry to hear about your job, my mom just lost hers as well just yesterday.Tough times for sure.

I'm sure, if you speak to the right person, you can get a credit of some sort on your account.

I just got a 25.00 credit on my account because I was pissed about an 18.00 upgrade fee.

Don't give up on the first "no" either, keep trying until you get a supervisor with a heart.

Good luck!

4. GreenStripe thread starter macrumors member

Yea, I signed the contract within the last 30 days.. so I would just have to pay the $110 bill? or do you think tehy will waive activation?

5. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

No, the $110 is the prorated amount from the day you sign the contract til your next billing cycle which might be 2 to 3 days later and a full month of bill which they bill you in advance. so most likely, if you signed on the 19th, you'll just pay the prorated fee from the 19th til when you decide to cancel. You can bring it to an ATT store, no need for apple. Sorry to hear about the loss of job, its tough out there. Regarding the activation fee, its possible, but not 100% certain.

6. Mac N Tosh macrumors regular

I totally agree with Ferris don't take the first no for an answer....Good luck, let us know how it worked out...

7. Johnnybrav0 macrumors member

Sorry to hear that man...but you have 14 days to return....it's states it on their receipt....you should be fine...if you can't return it to one AT&T store...go to the next one....don't let NO stop you....

Good luck....man....

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ yup, definitely prorated; then return all of your equipment. Sorry to hear about the job loss.....:(:(:(

9. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Why not sell your 3GS for top dollars and remove the data plan from your account?

10. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

agree. Sell on ebay for loads of cash. Ditch the data plan. Money in your pocket

11. ViPa macrumors 6502a

sorry to hear about your job

i agree you should sell your phone

however, if you must return it..return the phone to apple..they'll charge you a 10% restocking fee..call at&t and cancel your contract, you will only get charged for the services you have used, in other words, it is prorated..if you are still within 3 days of activation, you will get your activation fee waived..if not, the activation fee stays..im sure you could talk yourself out of it

12. darienlm32 macrumors newbie

Depends on how long you've had service - they do have a satisfaction guarantee where you can return it but I'm not sure if they reimburse the days it was used..

13. icurbyou macrumors newbie

Lost my job last December due to company closing down after 10+ yrs...

God bless America!

14. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

sell it on craigslist...don't just returned it when you can make money instead of losing it.