Returning iPhone 4S for a Samsung Galaxy S II

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HiDEF, Oct 26, 2011.

?

How many of you are returning the 4S for a SGSII?

1. Yes, I'm retuning my iPhone 4S for a SGSII

17 vote(s)
    13.7%
  2. No, I'm keeping my 4S until iPhone 5

107 vote(s)
    86.3%
  1. HiDEF, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

How many of you are returning the iPhone 4S for a SGSII?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. HiDEF thread starter macrumors 68000

HiDEF

What didn't you like from the SGSII? was it the OS or hardware?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Apps weren't polished, the os would lag at times. Overall, the 4S was more attractive and has been a better phone for me.

5. HiDEF thread starter macrumors 68000

HiDEF

I have to be honest, I'm a long time iPhone user (except the 3GS) and I'm seriously thinking about trying out the SGSII.

Again, I currently have the 4S and its a great phone but its just another iPhone 4. Now, I thought I was going to be blown away w Siri and the bump in processor but in all honesty, it's okay. The 4S is wayyy snappier than its predecessor (but you all know that). And Siri would be the next best thing about the phone, but thats it.

iOS 5 was a welcome addition but again, nothing innovative.

So, am I crazy to think its time to give android a try?

Someone please talk me out of it! lol

6. rml4uk macrumors member

Same here. For me, it was the battery life of the SGSII. I couldn't get through a full day without a charge, which I hate. Also, I have too much $$ invested in the Apple ecosystem not to put it to use.

I will say, though, that the SGSII is an awesome phone. The display on it is amazing. It's not quite as clear as the iP4S screen, but since it is the Super AMOLED Plus display, pixels are barely visible. Also, the SGSII camera/camcorder might actually be better than the iP4S. The Samsung Voice Search app/Vlingo are no match for Siri though.

7. ijohnbro macrumors regular

Is it crazy to want the superior phone? Not at all

8. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

I am selling the GS2 to get a 4S lol.

Missed the nuclear reactor like battery life and the cool and good looking apps i had on the 4. The only thing i will miss is that big screen. But that is all.

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, not crazy. Android is good, but rough around the edges. If you want to try it out, the SGSII is the way to go - best android phone out.

iOS ripped notifications from android, but I like Apple's implementation better, with one exception - they should add the icon in the top bar, so you know you have notifications without pulling the menu down.

Apps for iOS are built for a specific set of hardware configurations, while android apps have to support a wide variety of different hardware configs, and even screen resolutions, so many apps have an almost unfinished look to them.

10. HiDEF thread starter macrumors 68000

HiDEF

But doesn't the battery drain come from all the widgets running in the background?

----------

Best explanation to why Apps aren't as polished on Android. Good Stuff, man!

11. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I had been thinking about it, all of the features that count can be matched by the S2 and it of course has that gorgeous huge screen *drool*.

That being said, I'm pretty happy with my 4S (with it's tiny screen), so I'm a little bit stuck right now.:eek:

12. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

To the OP: why not wait to see how the Galaxy Nexus fares...a lot of the complaints about Android may be moot with the release of ICS...who knows?

Or at least wait to see the reviews on ICS and then load it onto an SGS2 if the reviews are favourable? Won't have to wait that much longer...

13. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

My beef was that once connected to either 3G or wifi, while browsing or running youtube the SGS2 would drink juice like a V12 engine. iPhone 4 on the other hand was like that four cylinder sedan.

It wasn't uncommon for me to get around 7-8 hours of solid screen usage time over 2-3 days with the 4 but the GS2 could only go as far as 5 max. And that was with all widgets and background data sync disabled.

All that hassle was more annoying than the smaller iPhone screen so i decided to switch back :p

Plus some games and apps i enjoyed on the i4 were not on market or had very very slow updates compared to iOS (infinity blade, real racing 2, battleheart (still stuck on an older version), street fighter volt etc).

14. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Depends on how many you have, but it can come from a lot of things. I actually got really decent battery life on my SGSII. I would have about 60% left at the end of a day.

Right now, I have 44% left on my 4S, but then again, I spent a while in a conference room with little to no service and I spent some time playing games. I didn't have any games on my SGSII, because the games (e.g. Angry Birds) just didn't feel as responsive - it almost felt like they were being emulated on android.

15. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Did you switch back to the 4 or did you get the 4S? From what I hear, the 4S' battery isn't exactly marvellous.

16. HiDEF thread starter macrumors 68000

HiDEF

As long as ICS comes out in the next few weeks, then I don't mind waiting--I only have 30 days to return the phone.

Also, is ICS going to be available for SGSII?

17. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Depends on the accuracy of the rumor mill, but it'll probably be mid-November.

No definitive answer as of yet, but I would presume ICS will be available for the SGS2.

18. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That's the thing. ICS may come out, but that doesn't mean it will be released for the SGSII, or for the SGSII on your carrier.

Carriers take forever to release updates.

19. cole01 macrumors 6502

SAME! Everyone loves the phone but personally I'm more of an iOS guy. The jerky scrolling and horrible stock keyboard got old...I didn't realize how little I care to tinker with my phone. Hate to say it but the iPhone just works for me. The people at best buy looked at me like I was crazy for returning the phone for my old cracked 4 while I waited for my new white 4S, and I've never been happier.

My battery lasts a whole day with some to spare. Same couldn't be said for the galaxy s II...the 4S is a little worse on battery than my old iPhone but completely acceptable. Galaxy s II feels so cheap too after using an iPhone since the 2G.

20. juswest macrumors regular

I love my S2 but I think I might return it for a 4S, simply because I'm so used to iOS. It's a great phone. Battery life usually around 12 hours with lots of texting, tweeting, web browsing. But I'm sure it's better for more moderate users. I wish it had a 4 inch screen. I feel that would be the perfect size.

21. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

22. HiDEF thread starter macrumors 68000

HiDEF

That sucks! I don't want ATT messing around with OS updates! Apple for the win when it comes to OS updates (no bloat ware).

23. juswest macrumors regular

Nah, in looking up things on android I've seen plenty of people switch.

24. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yeah, carriers release updates (with their "tweaks"), after the manufacturer adds their "tweaks".

So, for you to get ICS:

Google releases ICS > Samsung updates the SGSII kernel and TouchWiz UI > AT&T updates the radios and bloatware.

25. PlatinuM195 macrumors regular

Just returned my GS2 and using my 4 atm but will be picking up the 4S soon.

Tweaking the phone was a lot more overrated than I expected.